This article is a brief introduction to a front end development framework OpenUI5.
You can click here to have a look at running live sample applications developed using OpenUI5.
OpenUI5 has a responsive design with a client-side HTML5 rendering library and works on MVC architecture. It is an open sourced counterpart of the famous SAPUI5 framework and is released under the Apache License, Version 2.0. Thus it is free to be used for commercial usage as well.
OpenUI5, being an enterprise grade framework, provides following additional features as compared to any other UI framework in the market.
1. Internationalization and RTL support: Internationalization enables the users to view the app in their own language and RTL (Right-to-Left) support makes sure that apps work correctly even when opened in languages in which text is read & written from right to left, for example, Arabic, Persian, Urdu etc.
2. Accessibility: This feature makes sure that the apps developed in OpenUI5 can be used by people with special needs such as blind users who depend on screen reader and visually impaired users who use the app in high contrast mode.
3. Extensibility: Apps developed using OpenUI5 are extensible. They can be extended to add additional features on top of an existing app.
4. Theming: It is very easy to change the theming of apps developed using OpenUI5. It is as simple as changing the value of a few variables. This is possible because OpenUI5 uses LESS files for theming.
In addition to the above benefits, OpenUI5 encapsulates a lot of powerful latest web development concepts that provides solid foundation to build a modern web application. Overall, it lets developer focus on the customer’s requirement by managing many crucial but trivial aspects of web application development automatically behind the scenes. It has built-in support for architectural concepts like two-way data binding, MVC and routing.
The controls library of 200+ controls ranges from the basic controls such as Input and select controls to complex controls such as charts and timeline controls. All controls come with predefined event handlers for each event which can be implemented in controllers. UI controls are responsive i.e. you don’t need to worry about different devices. UI controls automatically adapt themselves to each device size.
For each control that OpenUI5 offers, examples and their sample code is provided by SAP here. SAP also has an excellent set of design guidelines named as Fiori Design Guidelines which helps developers and designers with the best practices and design principles to be used while making great applications.
SAP won the Red Dot Award 2015, which is the most prestigious and widely recognized symbol of design excellence for SAPUI5/OpenUI5. Below video is will give you more insights about it.
So, what are you waiting for? You should start hacking your way into OpenUI5 from here right now and start build exciting next-gen web apps.
1. Sample Applications
2. Getting Started Guide
3. Fiori Design Guidelines
4. Explore Controls
This article is contributed by Harshit Jain. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- SAP | An Introduction
- Software Framework vs Library
- Learning Model Building in Scikit-learn : A Python Machine Learning Library
- Pytube | Python library to download youtube videos
- Image loading and caching library for Android | Set 1
- Image loading and caching library for Android | Set 2
- FuzzyWuzzy Python library
- JSTL | JSP Standard Tag Library
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
- DELETE request using XMLHttpRequest by making Custom HTTP library
- Get request using AJAX by making Custom HTTP library
- POST request using AJAX by making Custom HTTP library
- How to make PUT request using XMLHttpRequest by making Custom HTTP library ?
- Simple GET and POST request using Fetch API method by making custom HTTP library
- How to make simple PUT request using fetch API by making custom HTTP library ?
- Simple DELETE request using fetch API by making custom HTTP library
- How to Add Third Party Library Deno.js ?