Pseudo Random Number Generator(PRNG) refers to an algorithm that uses mathematical formulas to produce sequences of random numbers. PRNGs generate a sequence of numbers approximating the properties of random numbers.
A PRNG starts from an arbitrary starting state using a seed state. Many numbers are generated in a short time and can also be reproduced later, if the starting point in the sequence is known. Hence, the numbers are deterministic and efficient.
Why do we need PRNG?
With the advent of computers, programmers recognized the need for a means of introducing randomness into a computer program. However, surprising as it may seem, it is difficult to get a computer to do something by chance as computer follows the given instructions blindly and is therefore completely predictable. It is not possible to generate truly random numbers from deterministic thing like computers so PRNG is a technique developed to generate random numbers using a computer.
How PRNG works?
Linear Congruential Generator is most common and oldest algorithm for generating pseudo-randomized numbers. The generator is defined by the recurrence relation:
Xn+1 = (aXn + c) mod m where X is the sequence of pseudo-random values m, 0 < m - modulus a, 0 < a < m - multiplier c, 0 ≤ c < m - increment x0, 0 ≤ x0 < m - the seed or start value
We generate the next random integer using the previous random integer, the integer constants, and the integer modulus. To get started, the algorithm requires an initial Seed, which must be provided by some means. The appearance of randomness is provided by performing modulo arithmetic..
Characteristics of PRNG
- Efficient: PRNG can produce many numbers in a short time and is advantageous for applications that need many numbers
- Deterministic: A given sequence of numbers can be reproduced at a later date if the starting point in the sequence is known.Determinism is handy if you need to replay the same sequence of numbers again at a later stage.
- Periodic: PRNGs are periodic, which means that the sequence will eventually repeat itself. While periodicity is hardly ever a desirable characteristic, modern PRNGs have a period that is so long that it can be ignored for most practical purposes
Applications of PRNG
PRNGs are suitable for applications where many random numbers are required and where it is useful that the same sequence can be replayed easily. Popular examples of such applications are simulation and modeling applications. PRNGs are not suitable for applications where it is important that the numbers are really unpredictable, such as data encryption and gambling.
Pseudo Random Number Generator using srand()
3 7 0 9 8
7 6 8 1 4
Explanation: srand() sets the seed which is used by rand() to generate random numbers.time(NULL) return no. of second from JAN 1, 1971 i.e every time we run program we have difference of few seconds which gives the program new seed.
This article is contributed by Yash Singla. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Write a program to reverse digits of a number
- Write an Efficient Method to Check if a Number is Multiple of 3
- Write an Efficient C Program to Reverse Bits of a Number
- Minimum number of jumps to reach end
- Find minimum number to be divided to make a number a perfect square
- Find whether a given number is a power of 4 or not
- Print all combinations of points that can compose a given number
- Check if a number is multiple of 5 without using / and % operators
- Given a number, find the next smallest palindrome
- Count the number of possible triangles
- Select a random number from stream, with O(1) space
- Program to convert a given number to words
- Efficient program to print all prime factors of a given number
- Check if a number is Palindrome
- Random number generator in arbitrary probability distribution fashion
Improved By : etrigan76