Prerequisite : Tkinter Introduction
Python offers multiple options for developing GUI (Graphical User Interface). Out of all the GUI methods, tkinter is most commonly used method. It is a standard Python interface to the Tk GUI toolkit shipped with Python. Python with tkinter outputs the fastest and easiest way to create the GUI applications. Creating a GUI using tkinter is an easy task.
To create a tkinter :
- Importing the module – tkinter
- Create the main window (container)
- Add any number of widgets to the main window
- Apply the event Trigger on the widgets.
Let’s see how to create a loan calculator using Python GUI library Tkiner. The calculator will be capable of calculating the total amount and monthly payment based on loan amount, period an interest rate.
Step #1: Create a main window.
Step #2: Adding functionality.
Step #3: Complete program
- tkinter module contains the tk toolkit. Here in this example, we are importing the whole module of tkinter in the firstline. Next, We are creating a user-defined Class named
LoanCalculatorwhich holds it’s own data member and member functions.
def__init__(self)is a special method in Python Class. It is a constructor of a Python class, then we create a window using Tk(). The label function creates a display box to take input and use grid method to give it a table like structure.
Why we used sticky argument?
By default, widgets are created in the center, using sticky arguments we can change it. It takes 4 values: N, S, E, W. i.e. North, East, South, West.
- Then we create some object named
self.totalPaymentVarand for the first 3 object we take the input using
- Then we create the button namely compute payment, when you click the button it calls the compute payment function which belongs to the class loan calculator. Using mainloop function we run our application program.
- Create a function
computepayment()inside the class. Here we store our inputs of the object in some variables, to simplify our mathematical calculation.
- In the next step, we create another function named
getMonthlyPayment()inside the class. After getting the required inputs it computes the monthly payment using the simple mathematical function given in the program.
root=Tk()means to initialize tkinter , we have to create a widget which is a window. Note that root widget must be created before any other widget.
- Python | Simple calculator using Tkinter
- Python | Simple GUI calculator using Tkinter
- Python | Distance-time GUI calculator using Tkinter
- Python GUI - tkinter
- Smart calculator in Python
- Different messages in Tkinter | Python
- Python | after method in Tkinter
- RadioButton in Tkinter | Python
- How to make calculator using kivy | Python
- Basic calculator program using Python
- Python | winfo_ismapped() and winfo_exist() in Tkinter
- Python | PanedWindow Widget in Tkinter
- Python | geometry method in Tkinter
- Python | Add style to tkinter button
- Color game using Tkinter in Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.