This tag is used to specify the group of one or more columns in a table for formatting. It is useful for applying styles to entire columns, instead of repeating the styles for each column, and for each row. Use the <col> tag within the <colgroup> tag to define different properties to a column within a <colgroup>.
Note: Most of the attributes in HTML 4.01 <colgroup> are not supported in HTML5.
<colgroup> Column lists... </colgroup>
- align: It is used to align the text or content in the group of column. The value of align property are left, right, center, justify, char.
- char: It is used to align the character in a column group and the value of this attributes are character.
- charoff: It is used to sets the number of characters that will be aligned from the character specified by the char attribute. The value of this attributes are in numeric form.
- span: It is used to specify the number of columns that have colgroup tag. The values are in numeric form.
- valign: It specifies the vertical align of content in a colgroup. It’s values are top, middle, bottom, baseline.
- width: It defines the width of a column group. It’s values are pixels, %, relative_length.
Note: Most of the attributes are not supported by <colgroup> tag in HTML5.
Supported Browsers: The <colgroup> tag supported browsers listed below.
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer
- What purpose does a <script> tag serve inside of a <noscript> tag?
- Difference between <article> tag and <section> tag
- Why <big> tag is not in HTML5 while <small> tag exists ?
- HTML | <html> Tag
- HTML | <section> Tag
- HTML | Style Tag
- HTML | <marquee> tag
- Div Tag | HTML
- HTML | <noframes> Tag
- span Tag | HTML
- HTML | <picture> Tag
- HTML | <font> Tag
- HTML 5 | <header> Tag
- HTML | <hgroup> Tag
- HTML | <q> Tag
- HTML | Object tag
- HTML | Phrase Tag
- HTML 5 | <summary> Tag
- HTML | <hr> Tag
- HTML | <nav> Tag
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.