The HTML base tag is used to specify a base URI, or URL, for relative links. This URL will be the base URL for every link on the page and will be prefixed before each of them. For example, if the URL specified by base tag is “www.xyz.com” and then every other URL on the page will be prefixed by, “www.xyz.com/”.
<base href = "SAMPLE_URL" />
Example: Notice that we have only specified a relative address for the image. Since we have specified a base URL in the head section, the browser will look for the image at “https://media.geeksforgeeks.org/wp-content/uploads/1-95.jpg”. That is in the below program we have specified a base URL “https://media.geeksforgeeks.org/wp-content/uploads/” for all of the links and when we are referring to the image at URL “1-95.jpg” then the browser is actually rendering the image from “https://media.geeksforgeeks.org/wp-content/uploads/1-95.jpg”.
- The base tag must be defined between the head tags.
- There can be a maximum of only 1 base tag in a page.
Supported Browser: The browser supported by <base> tag are listed below:
- Google ChromeChrome
- Internet Explorer
- Find the Nth digit from right in base B of the given number in Decimal base
- Given a number N in decimal base, find the sum of digits in any base B
- What purpose does a <script> tag serve inside of a <noscript> tag?
- Difference between <article> tag and <section> tag
- Why <big> tag is not in HTML5 while <small> tag exists ?
- HTML | <html> Tag
- HTML | DOM Base target Property
- HTML | DOM Base Object
- HTML | DOM Base href Property
- HTML | <base> href Attribute
- HTML | <base> target Attribute
- HTML | Style Tag
- HTML | <marquee> tag
- Div Tag | HTML
- HTML | <noframes> Tag
- span Tag | HTML
- HTML | <picture> Tag
- HTML | <font> Tag
- HTML 5 | <header> Tag
- HTML | <hgroup> Tag
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.