Series is a type of list in pandas which can take integer values, string values, double values and more. But in Pandas Series we return an object in the form of list, having index starting from 0 to n, Where n is the length of values in series.
Later in this article, we will discuss dataframes in pandas, but we first need to understand the main difference between Series and Dataframe. Series can only contain single list with index, whereas dataframe can be made of more than one series or we can say that a dataframe is a collection of series that can be used to analyse the data.
Code #1: Creating a simple Series
0 Jitender 1 Purnima 2 Arpit 3 Jyoti dtype: object
Let’s check type of Series:
Code #2: Creating Dataframe from Series
Author Article 0 Jitender 210 1 Purnima 211 2 Arpit 114 3 Jyoti 178
We are combining two series Author and Article published. Create a dictionary so that we can combine the metadata for series. Metadata is the data of data that can define the series of values. Pass this dictionary to pandas DataFrame and finally you can see the result as combination of two series i.e for author and number of articles.
Code #3: How to add series externally in dataframe
Author Article Age 0 Jitender 210 21 1 Purnima 211 21 2 Arpit 114 24 3 Jyoti 178 23
We have added one more series externally named as age of the authors, then directly added this series in the pandas dataframe. Remember one thing if any value is missing then by default it will be converted into
NaN value i.e null by default.
Code #4: Missing value in dataframe
Author Article Age 0 Jitender 210 21.0 1 Purnima 211 21.0 2 Arpit 114 23.0 3 Jyoti 178 NaN
Code #5: Data Plot on graph
plot.bar() we have created a bar graph.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- Convert given Pandas series into a dataframe with its index as another column on the dataframe
- Convert a series of date strings to a time series in Pandas Dataframe
- Creating a Pandas dataframe using list of tuples
- Creating a Pandas DataFrame
- Python | Creating a Pandas dataframe column based on a given condition
- Creating views on Pandas DataFrame
- Creating views on Pandas DataFrame | Set - 2
- Creating Pandas dataframe using list of lists
- Add a Pandas series to another Pandas series
- Python | Pandas DataFrame.fillna() to replace Null values in dataframe
- Pandas Dataframe.to_numpy() - Convert dataframe to Numpy array
- Creating a Pandas Series from Dictionary
- Creating a Pandas Series from Lists
- Creating a Pandas Series
- Creating Series from list, dictionary, and numpy array in Pandas
- Python | Pandas Dataframe/Series.head() method
- Python | Pandas Dataframe/Series.tail() method
- Python | Pandas Series/Dataframe.any()
- Python | Pandas Dataframe/Series.dot()
- Combine two Pandas series into a DataFrame
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.