Excel files are of extension .xls, .xlsx and .csv(comma-separated values). To start working with excel files in R, we need to first import excel files in RStudio or any other R supporting IDE(Integrated development environment).
readxl package in R to load excel files. Various methods including there subparts are demonstrated further.
The two excel files Sample_data1.xlsx and Sample_data2.xlsx and read from working directory.
The excel files are loaded into variable Data_1 and Data_2 as a dataframes and then variable Data_1 and Data_2 is called that prints the dataset.
The Sample_data1.xlsx file and Sample_file2.xlsx are modified.
The value of the P-class attribute or variable of Data1 data is modified to 0. The value of Embarked attribute or variable of Data2 is modified to S.
Deleting Content from files
The variable or attribute is deleted from Data1 and Data2 datasets containing Sample_data1.xlsx and Sample_data2.xlsx files.
- sign is used to delete column or attributes from dataset. Column 2 is deleted from Data1 dataset and Column 3 is deleted from Data2 dataset.
The two excel datasets Data1 and Data2 are merged using
merge() function which is in base package and comes pre installed in R.
Data1 and Data2 are merged with each other and the resultant file is stored in the Data3 variable.
Creating new columns
New columns or features can be easily created in Data1 and Data2 datasets.
Num is a new feature that is created with 0 default value in Data1 dataset. Code is a new feature that is created with mission as a default string in Data2 dataset.
After performing all operations, Data1 and Data2 are written into new files using
write.xlsx() function built in writexl package.
The Data1 dataset is written New_Data1.xlsx file and Data2 dataset is written in New_Data2.xlsx file. Both the files are saved in present working directory.
- Working with CSV files in R Programming
- Working with XML Files in R Programming
- Working with Binary Files in R Programming
- Working with JSON Files in R Programming
- Creating a dataframe using Excel files
- Perl | Creating Excel Files
- Perl | Reading Excel Files
- Working with Text Files in Julia
- Working with Databases in R Programming
- Data Wrangling in R Programming - Working with Tibbles
- List all the Objects present in the Current Working Directory in R Programming - ls() Function
- Working with Sparse Matrices in R Programming
- Reading Files in R Programming
- Reading Tabular Data from files in R Programming
- Writing to Files in R Programming
- Loading Excel spreadsheet as pandas DataFrame
- Convert CSV to Excel using Pandas in Python
- How to Convert HTML Table into Excel Spreadsheet using jQuery ?
- Internal working of Set in Python
- Internal working of list in Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.