Cross-browser testing tools are required when there is a need to test an application on multiple browsers. These tools will assist in ensuring that the web application functions correctly across all browsers. When both the server and client sides of the web application are accessed through several web browsers, this tool will be used. One can evaluate the application’s compatibility across several browsers with the help of these tools. Testing software on a single web browser isn’t always sufficient, which is why cross-browser testing techniques are necessary. The article focuses on discussing cross-browser testing.
What is Cross-Browser Testing?
Cross-browser testing tools allow testing the applications and websites end-to-end on both web and mobile across a variety of browsers. These tools are mostly cloud-based and allow you to conduct tests on browsers without installing the tool.
- Cross-browser testing is an important part of software testing.
- It is a type of performance testing that allows the tester to check whether the website works as intended on all web browsers, mobile devices, and operating systems.
- It helps to deliver a consistent user experience across different devices, browsers, platforms, etc.
Features of Cross-Browser Testing Tool
The following are some of the key features that a good cross-browser testing tool must have:
- Customer Support and Technical Support: The tool should have full technical support available for the users whether it’s a support team, documentation, or open-source resources.
- Cloud-Based: The tool should be cloud-based so that a wide range of browsers and devices are accessible.
- Simple User Interface: The tool should be easy to use and navigate and the test results should be easy to view and access.
- Test on Browsers: The tool should have the ability to run on a multitude of browsers without the need to install those browsers.
Why is Cross-Browser Testing Important?
- Erroneous display of website content: Different versions of operating systems interpret data in different ways thus some browsers may display the content of a website inappropriately, resulting in user disappointment.
- Ensure the best user experience: Non-functional variety of web application testing can ensure every user can have the best user experience.
- The website works properly: There should be no breaks in the layout and the website should work the same way in all browsers, OSes, or devices.
- Speed: There is always an issue with the speed of execution when the website is tested locally across different browsers on a cloud-based testing platform.
- Scalability: Before launching and updating the mobile application or the website one wants to see how the website appears on real devices. With cross-browser testing, it is possible to test the website in the exact environments before being alive.
- Multiple testing options: Almost all cross-browser testing tools offer performance testing, responsive testing, localization testing, visualization testing, etc.
- Compatibility testing: Cross-browser testing tools that support code-less scripting make the testing process easier for non-programmers.
Benefits of Cross-Browser Testing Tools
- Testing on multiple OS: Cross-browser testing tools help to test web applications on multiple operating systems such as Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Testing on multiple browsers: Cross-browser testing tools enable testing web applications on multiple browsers.
- Saves time: It helps to save time as there is no need to reinstall the browser multiple times.
- Testing on varying screen resolutions: It enables testing web applications on varying screen resolutions, devices such as PCs, laptops, or mobile devices.
The following top 10 Cross-Browser Testing Tools will be discussed here:
- Sauce Labs
- QA Wolf
- Selenium Box
- Arora, Chrome, Dillo, Epiphany, Firefox, Iceweasel, Konqueror, Links, Laukit, Opera, SeaMonkey, and Safari are among the browsers supported.
- Desktop resolutions ranging from 640 px to 1600 px are tested.
2. Sauce Labs
It’s yet another cross-browser testing tool that allows us to run tests in the cloud across a variety of browsers, devices, and operating systems. We don’t need to set up a virtual machine because Sauce Labs is a cloud-based testing platform. Because this tool provides a secure testing protocol, we can test our application behind client firewalls. It’s the first platform to support both Microsoft Edge and Firefox’s Firebug plug-in for automated testing.
It aids in increasing software productivity since continuous testing provides instant feedback throughout the development cycle, making debugging simple and quick.
- On the Sauce testing cloud, it will run a variety of tests including integration tests, automated end-to-end tests, and unit tests.
- Our client will receive bug-free software as a result of this.
- Extensive debugging, test metrics, and sauce performance are just a few of the extra capabilities.
- It has a user-friendly interface for automation.
It’s an online tool that’s used to test and report concerns with our website’s cross-browser design and scripting. It will repeatedly compare the output of each browser and check for conflicts in our sites, allowing us to swiftly resolve them. It can immediately test our website’s numerous pages. Once the test is over, it will also generate a report.
- It will make it simpler for us to test entire websites.
- The cross-browser layout issues will be detected automatically.
- HTTP basic authentication and application-based logins are both supported. To do so, we must assign the login field a unique Id and allow access to it.
- It checks websites that make use of AJAX and DHTML. Before testing, it will wait for the pages to finish loading.
- Because everything runs from the server cluster, we don’t need to install anything in this tool.
4. QA Wolf
- No installation or setup is necessary to create tests directly from the browser. It’s very easy to get started. Simply create a free account, enter the URL you’d like to test and browse your test pathways.
- Run the code you’ve chosen again. If you only need to fix a couple of lines of code, don’t bother about rerunning the full test. For rapid debugging, QA Wolf allows you to re-run only the code you want.
- With a single click, run tests on Vercel/Netlify deployments or on a timer. Create tests and schedule them to run at your leisure.
- Parallelize all of your tests. Regardless matter how many tests you’re doing, you’ll have results in minutes.
- Slack and email notifications are available. The test results will be emailed directly to your inbox or corporate Slack channel, so everyone on your team will be aware of them.
- With the help of movies and records, you can learn about failures. With a video, logs, and the line of code the test failed on, you can rapidly understand and reproduce problems.
- Directly from the browser, rerun, and fix tests. Wait for another CI build instead of running the code locally. In the browser, QA Wolf allows you to fix and maintain your tests.
The GhostLab tool is used to test our app across various browsers and mobile devices at the same time. We can use this tool to open our locally installed browsers and connect a mobile device by scanning a QR code in the vicinity. When we are working on a local site, it assists us in developing our sites. It is available without further setup for both Windows and Mac operating systems.
- It will capture a screenshot of any connected device, explain it in the integrated editor, and then drag and drop it into our bug tracker.
- It’ll allow you to browse in sync.
- It will check the CSS and DOM on all connected devices, and if there are any changes in the DOM, it will update all linked devices instantly.
- Every time we make a change to the local files, it will restore all of our browsers.
- We can create, open, and connect to the GhostLab with a single click.
It’s a cloud-based mobile and online testing platform that lets developers test their web and mobile apps across a variety of operating systems, browsers, and mobile devices. Live, App Live, Automate, and App Automate are the four major products of BrowserStack. We won’t have to set up or manage any devices or the VM [Virtual Machine] in this scenario. It will assist us in reducing costs, maintenance, and time, as well as providing stability for the proper structure of quality products and services.
- It’s used to find bugs and repair them right away.
- We can test the app on a wide range of browsers, including Safari, Google Chrome, Opera, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and others.
- With a single click, it will test our layouts and design on 1500+ desktop and mobile browsers.
- It’s used to test responsive web design on a number of screen sizes without having to manually check out each browser combination.
- It is extremely scalable because it meets our testing needs, which aids team expansion because all members have access to the devices.
Virtuoso uses artificial intelligence to automate end-to-end testing on any browser, operating system, or device. Build functional tests with Natural Language Programming (plain English, like a manual test script), integrated API testing, and Visual Regression tests to get complete, codeless, end-to-end test coverage, guaranteeing your online and mobile web apps are up-to-date everywhere.
- For codeless test automation that works, write tests in Natural Language.
- Before your app is built, generate tests from requirements or wireframes. Eliminate test maintenance with AI-driven, self-healing capabilities.
- Recognize the source of test failures.
- In the cloud, run on any device, browser, or operating system at scale.
- API calls can be created by anyone and saved for use in functional testing.
8. Selenium Box
Selenium Box is a fully managed and scalable Enterprise Selenium Grid that works on-premises or in your corporate cloud. It enables automated web and mobile testing to be carried out behind corporate firewalls. Large businesses in high-risk areas such as banking, insurance, and medicine will benefit from the solution. Selenium Box combines the advantages of a SaaS solution with the security and performance of an on-premises or in-house solution.
- Deployment on-premises vs. corporate cloud
- Emulators/simulators, desktop browsers, and real-world devices
- Security does not necessitate the use of tunnels or external access.
- Fully managed and low-maintenance
- High scalability
- LDAP, CROWD, and other enterprise integrations
LambdaTest is a cloud-based platform for testing cross-browser compatibility in web apps and websites. On LambdaTest’s scalable cloud grid, you can run automated Selenium scripts or even perform live interactive testing in real browser settings.
- Use a scalable Selenium grid with 2000+ browser setups to run Selenium automation tests.
- Automate your website’s screenshots and responsive testing.
- SSH Tunnel can be used to test your locally or privately hosted website.
- One-click bug logging to Asana, BitBucket, GitHub, JIRA, Microsoft VSTS, Slack, Trello, and other bug-tracking tools.
The most well-known licensed tool is cross-browser testing. It works with a wide range of operating systems, as well as a huge number of different browsers, mobile browsers, and their versions. The automated screenshot, localhost support, and other features are among the extra features. With their cloud-based actual device lab, SmartBear’s CrossBrowserTesting ensures every web experience is great on any browser or mobile device. Remove your virtual machines and device lab from your system.
- This tool is used to put the app through its paces on real-world mobile devices.
- It’s used to test the application’s compatibility by comparing the public and locally hosted pages across different browsers.
- It’s used to step through the test cases in a live environment using a variety of devices and browsers.
- In any programming language, it will run our Appium and Selenium test scripts.
- After running the selenium scripts, it’s a good idea to run the screenshot.
Master Software Testing and Automation in an efficient and time-bound manner by mentors with real-time industry experience. Join our Software Automation Course
and embark on an exciting journey, mastering the skill set with ease!
What We Offer:
- Comprehensive Software Automation program
- Expert Guidance for Efficient Learning
- Hands-on Experience with Real-world Projects
- Proven Track Record with 10,000+ Successful Geeks