Python Tkinter – SpinBox
Python offers multiple options for developing GUI (Graphical User Interface). Out of all the GUI methods, tkinter is the most commonly used method. It is a standard Python interface to the Tk GUI toolkit shipped with Python. Python with tkinter is the fastest and easiest way to create the GUI applications. Creating a GUI using tkinter is an easy task.
Note: For more information, refer to Python GUI – tkinter
The Spinbox widget is used to select from a fixed number of values. It is an alternative Entry widget and provides the range of values to the user.
The syntax to use the Spinbox is given below.
w = Spinbox ( master, options)
- master: This parameter is used to represents the parent window.
- options:There are many options which are available and they can be used as key-value pairs separated by commas.
Following are commonly used Option can be used with this widget :-
- activebackground: This option used to represent the background color when the slider and arrowheads is under the cursor.
- bg: This option used to represent the normal background color displayed behind the label and indicator.
- bd: This option used to represent the size of the border around the indicator and the default value is 2 pixels.
- command: This option is associated with a function to be called when the state is changed.
- cursor: By using this option, the mouse cursor will change to that pattern when it is over the type.
- disabledforeground: This option used to represent the foreground color of the widget when it is disabled..
- disabledbackground: This option used to represent the background color of the widget when it is disabled..
- font: This option used to represent the font used for the text.
- fg: This option used to represent the color used to render the text.
- format: This option used to formatting the string and it’s has no default value.
- from_: This option used to represent the minimum value.
- justify: This option used to control how the text is justified: CENTER, LEFT, or RIGHT.
- relief: This option used to represent the type of the border and It’s default value is set to SUNKEN.
- repeatdelay: This option is used to control the button auto repeat and its default value is in milliseconds.
- repeatinterval: This option is similar to repeatdelay.
- state: This option used to represent the represents the state of the widget and its default value is NORMAL.
- textvariable: This option used to control the behaviour of the widget text.
- to: It specify the maximum limit of the widget value. The other is specified by the from_ option.
- validate: This option is used to control how the widget value is validated.
- validatecommand: This option is associated to the function callback which is used for the validation of the widget content.
- values: This option used to represent the tuple containing the values for this widget.
- vcmd: This option is same as validation command.
- width: This option is used to represents the width of the widget.
- wrap: This option wraps up the up and down button the Spinbox.
- xscrollcommand: This options is set to the set() method of scrollbar to make this widget horizontally scrollable.
Methods used in this widgets are as follows:
- delete(startindex, endindex): This method is used to delete the characters present at the specified range.
- get(startindex, endindex): This method is used to get the characters present in the specified range.
- identify(x, y): This method is used to identify the widget’s element within the specified range.
- index(index): This method is used to get the absolute value of the given index.
- insert(index, string): This method is used to insert the string at the specified index.
- invoke(element): This method is used to invoke the callback associated with the widget.