While working with GUI one may need to open files and read data from it or may require to write data in that particular file. One can achieve this with the help of
open() function (python built-in) but one may not be able to select any required file unless provides a path to that particular file in code.
With the help of GUI, you may not require to specify the path of any file but you can directly open a file and read it’s content.
In order to use askopenfile() function you may require to follow these steps:
-> import tkinter
-> from tkinter.filedialog import askopenfile ## Now you can use this function
-> file = askopeenfile(mode=’r’, filetypes=[(‘any name you want to display’, ‘extension of file type’)])
We have to specify the mode in which you want to open the file like in above snippet, this will open a file in reading mode.
Printed content of selected file –
Comparison of content of original file and printed content –
Note: In above code only
.py (python files) types files will be open. To open specified type of files, one has to mention it in the filetypes option along with it’s extension as done in above code.
- Python | asksaveasfile() function in Tkinter
- Python | Binding function in Tkinter
- Python GUI - tkinter
- Different messages in Tkinter | Python
- RadioButton in Tkinter | Python
- Python | after method in Tkinter
- Python | Add image on a Tkinter button
- Python | geometry method in Tkinter
- destroy() method in Tkinter | Python
- minsize() method in Tkinter | Python
- iconphoto() method in Tkinter | Python
- Progressbar widget in Tkinter | Python
- resizable() method in Tkinter | Python
- Color game using Tkinter in Python
- Python | pack() method in Tkinter
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : nidhi_biet