Python is a great language for doing data analysis, primarily because of the fantastic ecosystem of data-centric Python packages. Pandas is one of those packages and makes importing and analyzing data much easier.
Pandas provide a unique method to retrieve rows from a Data frame.
Dataframe.iloc method is used when the index label of a data frame is something other than numeric series of 0, 1, 2, 3….n or in case the user doesn’t know the index label. Rows can be extracted using an imaginary index position which isn’t visible in the data frame.
Index Position: Index position of rows in integer or list of integer.
Return type: Data frame or Series depending on parameters
To download the CSV used in code, click here.
Example #1: Extracting single row and comparing with .loc
In this example, same index number row is extracted by both .iloc and.loc method and compared. Since the index column by default is numeric, hence the index label will also be integers.
As shown in the output image, the results returned by both the methods are same.
Example #2: Extracting multiple rows with index
In this example, multiple rows are extracted first by passing a list and then by passing integers to extract rows between that range. After that, both the values are compared.
As shown in the output image, the results returned by both the methods are same. All values are True except values in college column since those were NaN values.
- Python | Pandas Extracting rows using .loc
- Python | Pandas Series.iloc
- Select any row from a Dataframe using iloc and iat in Pandas
- Limited rows selection with given column in Pandas | Python
- Python | Delete rows/columns from DataFrame using Pandas.drop()
- Select first or last N rows in a Dataframe using head() and tail() method in Python-Pandas
- Grouping Rows in pandas
- Sorting rows in pandas DataFrame
- How to iterate over rows in Pandas Dataframe
- Get all rows in a Pandas DataFrame containing given substring
- Ranking Rows of Pandas DataFrame
- Python - Extracting Key from Value Substring
- Python - Extracting Kth Key in Dictionary
- Extracting MAC address using Python
- How to randomly select rows from Pandas DataFrame
- Create a list from rows in Pandas dataframe
- Iterating over rows and columns in Pandas DataFrame
- How to Drop Rows with NaN Values in Pandas DataFrame?
- Different ways to iterate over rows in Pandas Dataframe
- Create a list from rows in Pandas DataFrame | Set 2
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.