MAC address also known as physical address is the unique identifier that is assigned to the NIC (Network Interface Card) of the computer. NIC helps in connection of a computer with other computers in the network. MAC address is unique for all the NIC’s.
Uses of MAC address :
- Useful in places where IP address change frequently. Helps network admin. to get information regarding network traffic.
- Helps us to configure which computers can be connected to our computers. By this way we can filter potential spam/virus attacks.
- Helps in uniquely identifying computers from other computers around the world.
This article aims at extracting MAC address of computer using Python.
Method 1 : Using uuid.getnode()
getnode() can be used to extract the MAC address of the computer. This function is defined in uuid module.
The illustrated code given below shows how to generate a UUID for a given host, identified by its MAC address, using the uuid1() function.
- The visible drawback is that the output is not in the formatted form.
Method 2 : Using getnode() + format() [ for better formatting ]
The MAC address in formatted way is : 00:16:3e:99:0b:db
- This code appears to be complex.
Method 3 : Using getnode() + findall() + re() [ for reducing complexity ]
The MAC address in formatted and less complex way is : 00:16:3e:99:0b:db
- Python | Pandas Extracting rows using .loc
- Python | Extracting rows using Pandas .iloc
- Extracting email addresses using regular expressions in Python
- Display Hostname and IP address in Python
- Python program to validate an IP Address
- Python program to find IP Address
- Python | Remove leading zeros from an IP address
- Check if email address valid or not in Python
- Difference Between Network Address Translation (NAT) and Port Address Translation (PAT)
- NLP | Extracting Named Entities
- Difference between MAC Address and IP Address
- Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Finding IP address of a URL in Java
- How Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) works?
- C Program to display hostname and IP address
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.