Give two boxes B1 and B2 one have 50 red marbles and other have 50 blue marbles. A ball is selected randomly from any of the box and the task is to maximize the probability of selecting a red ball, by reshuffling marbles in both the boxes.
Let P(R) be the probability of picking a red marble.
P(R) = P(B1) * P(B1 | J1) + P(B2) * P(B2 | J2)
Here, P(B1) and P(B2) refers to selecting B1 and B2 and the probability of selecting each box is J1 and J2 refers to number of total balls in B1 and B2 respectively.
If we do not reshuffle any balls. Then
P(R) = ((1 / 2) * 1) + ((1 / 2) * 0) = 0.5
But, If we decrease the number of red balls in box B1 and increase the number of red balls in box B2 then the probability of getting a red ball will be maximized.
Therefore, let us take 49 red marbles from B1 to B2 then there will be 1 red ball in B1 and 99 balls in B2 out of which 49 are red and 50 of them are blue in the second jar.
P (R) = ((1 / 2) * (1 / 1)) + ((1 / 2) * (49 / 99)) = 0.747474
the maximum probability of choosing a red ball is 0.747474
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Puzzle 47 | Red Hat vs Blue Hat
- Puzzle 52 | Boy with Marbles
- The Blue – eyed Island puzzle
- Puzzle | Cut Blue Painted Cube
- Puzzle | 9 Students and Red Black Hats
- Puzzle 13 | (100 Prisoners with Red/Black Hats)
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 34 | (Prisoner and Policeman Puzzle)
- Puzzle 51| Cheryl’s Birthday Puzzle and Solution
- Puzzle | 3 Priests and 3 devils Puzzle
- Puzzle 24 | (10 Coins Puzzle)
- Puzzle 27 | (Hourglasses Puzzle)
- Puzzle 28 | (Newspaper Puzzle)
- Puzzle 29 | (Car Wheel Puzzle)
- Puzzle 31 | (Minimum cut Puzzle)
- Puzzle 33 | ( Rs 500 Note Puzzle )
- Puzzle 36 | (Matchstick Puzzle)
- Puzzle 38 | (Tic Tac Toe Puzzle)
- Puzzle 39 | (100 coins puzzle)
- Puzzle 81 | 100 people in a circle with gun puzzle
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.