100 prisoners in jail are standing in a queue facing in one direction. Each prisoner is wearing a hat of color either black or red. A prisoner can see hats of all prisoners in front of him in the queue, but cannot see his hat and hats of prisoners standing behind him.
The jailer is going to ask color of each prisoner’s hat starting from the last prisoner in queue. If a prisoner tells the correct color, then is saved, otherwise executed. How many prisoners can be saved at most if they are allowed to discuss a strategy before the jailer starts asking colors of their hats.
At-most 99 prisoners can be saved and the 100th prisoner has 50-50 chances of being executed.
The idea is that every prisoner counts number of red hats in front of him.
100th prisoner says red if the number of red hats is even. He may or may not be saved, but he conveys enough information to save 99th prisoner.
The 99’th prisoner decides his answer on the basis of answer of 100’th prisoner’s answer. There are following possibilities and 99’th prisoner can figure out color of his hat in every case.
If 100’th prisoner said ‘Red’ (There must have been even number of red hats in front of him)
a) If 99’th prisoner sees even number of red hats in front of him, then his color is black.
b) If 99’th prisoner sees odd number of red hats in front of him, then his color is red.
If 100’th prisoner said ‘Black’ (There must have been odd number of red hats in front of him)
a) If 99’th prisoner sees even number of red hats in front of him, then his color is Red.
b) If 99’th prisoner sees odd number of red hats in front of him, then his color is Black.
The 98’th prisoner decides his answer on the basis of answer of 99’th prisoner’s answer and uses same logic.
Similarly other prisoners from 97 to 1 are saved.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Puzzle 1 | (How to Measure 45 minutes using two identical wires?)
- Puzzle 2 | (Find ages of daughters)
- Puzzle 3 | (Calculate total distance travelled by bee)
- Puzzle 4 | (Pay an employee using a 7 units gold rod?)
- Puzzle 5 | (Finding the poisoned wine)
- Puzzle 6 | (Monty Hall problem)
- Puzzle 7 | (3 Bulbs and 3 Switches)
- Puzzle 8 | (Find the Jar with contaminated pills)
- Puzzle 9 | (Find the fastest 3 horses)
- Puzzle 10 | (A Man with Medical Condition and 2 Pills)
- Puzzle 11 | (1000 Coins and 10 Bags)
- Puzzle 12 | (Maximize probability of White Ball)
- Puzzle 14 | (Strategy for a 2 Player Coin Game)
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 17 | (Ratio of Boys and Girls in a Country where people want only boys)
Improved By : shreyashagrawal