A person has 3000 bananas and a camel. The person wants to transport maximum number of bananas to a destination which is 1000 KMs away, using only the camel as a mode of transportation. The camel cannot carry more than 1000 bananas at a time and eats a banana every km it travels. What is the maximum number of bananas that can be transferred to the destination using only camel (no other mode of transportation is allowed).
At first look, it seems that the person cannot transfer any banana as the camel can carry at most 1000 bananas and going to eat all bananas when destination is reached.
The trick is to transfer bananas to an intermediate point, then transfer all bananas from the intermediate point to destination.
So we have to take an approach that the Camel drops the bananas in between and then returns to point A to pick up bananas again.
A---------------------------------------->B -----> ------> --------> <----- ------>
Where, length of P1 will be 200 Km.
Since there are 3000 bananas and the Camel can only carry 1000 bananas, he will have to make 3 trips to carry them all to any point in between.
When bananas are reduced to 2000 then the Camel can shift them to another point in 2 trips and when the number of bananas left are <= 1000, then he should not return and only move forward. The merchant has 533 bananas to sell at point B.
Note that you can get 500 bananas with only one intermediate point, which is clearly not maximum.
Refer following link for detailed explanation: https://puzzling.stackexchange.com/a/232
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Puzzle 1 | (How to Measure 45 minutes using two identical wires?)
- Puzzle 2 | (Find ages of daughters)
- Puzzle 3 | (Calculate total distance travelled by bee)
- Puzzle 4 | (Pay an employee using a 7 units gold rod?)
- Puzzle 13 | (100 Prisoners with Red/Black Hats)
- Puzzle 5 | (Finding the Injection for Anesthesia)
- Puzzle 6 | (Monty Hall problem)
- Puzzle 7 | (3 Bulbs and 3 Switches)
- Puzzle 8 | (Find the Jar with contaminated pills)
- Puzzle 9 | (Find the fastest 3 horses)
- Puzzle 10 | (A Man with Medical Condition and 2 Pills)
- Puzzle 11 | (1000 Coins and 10 Bags)
- Puzzle 12 | (Maximize probability of White Ball)
- Puzzle 14 | (Strategy for a 2 Player Coin Game)
- Puzzle 17 | (Ratio of Boys and Girls in a Country where people want only boys)
Improved By : ManasChhabra2