A person has 3000 bananas and a camel. The person wants to transport maximum number of bananas to a destination which is 1000 KMs away, using only the camel as a mode of transportation. The camel cannot carry more than 1000 bananas at a time and eats a banana every km it travels. What is the maximum number of bananas that can be transferred to the destination using only camel (no other mode of transportation is allowed).
At first look, it seems that the person cannot transfer any banana as the camel can carry at most 1000 bananas and going to eat all bananas when destination is reached.
The trick is to transfer bananas to an intermediate point, then transfer all bananas from the intermediate point to destination.
So we have to take an approach that the Camel drops the bananas in between and then returns to point A to pick up bananas again.
A---------------------------------------->B -----> ------> --------> <----- ------>
Where, length of P1 will be 200 Km.
Since there are 3000 bananas and the Camel can only carry 1000 bananas, he will have to make 3 trips to carry them all to any point in between.
When bananas are reduced to 2000 then the Camel can shift them to another point in 2 trips and when the number of bananas left are <= 1000, then he should not return and only move forward. The merchant has 533 bananas to sell at point B.
Note that you can get 500 bananas with only one intermediate point, which is clearly not maximum.
Refer following link for detailed explanation: https://puzzling.stackexchange.com/a/232
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Puzzle 34 | (Prisoner and Policeman Puzzle)
- Puzzle 51| Cheryl’s Birthday Puzzle and Solution
- Puzzle | 3 Priests and 3 devils Puzzle
- Puzzle 24 | (10 Coins Puzzle)
- Puzzle 27 | (Hourglasses Puzzle)
- Puzzle 28 | (Newspaper Puzzle)
- Puzzle 29 | (Car Wheel Puzzle)
- Puzzle 31 | (Minimum cut Puzzle)
- Puzzle 33 | ( Rs 500 Note Puzzle )
- Puzzle 36 | (Matchstick Puzzle)
- Puzzle 38 | (Tic Tac Toe Puzzle)
- Puzzle 39 | (100 coins puzzle)
- Puzzle 81 | 100 people in a circle with gun puzzle
- Puzzle 85 | Chain Link Puzzle
- Puzzle | Elevator Puzzle
- Puzzle 7 | (3 Bulbs and 3 Switches)
- Puzzle 10 | (A Man with Medical Condition and 2 Pills)
- Puzzle 11 | (1000 Coins and 10 Bags)
- Puzzle 17 | (Ratio of Boys and Girls in a Country where people want only boys)
- Puzzle 18 | (Torch and Bridge)
Improved By : ManasChhabra2