Puzzle: Given 10 identical bottles of identical pills (each bottle contains 100 pills). Out of 10 bottles 9 have 1 gram of pills but 1 bottle has pills of the weight of 1.1 gram. Given a measurement scale, how would you find the heavy bottle? You can use the scale only once.
- Step 1: arrange the bottles on the shelf and now take, 1 pill from the first bottle, 2 pills from the second bottle, 3 pills from the third bottle, and so on.
- Step 2: Ideally, you would have (10)*(11)/2=55 pills weighing 55 grams. When you put the entire pile of pills on the weighing scale, the deviation from 55g would tell you which bottle contains the heavy pills.
- Step 3: If the deviation is .1 gram more, it is the 1st bottle which has heavy pills, if it is .2 gram more then 2nd bottle has heavy pills, if it is .3 gram more then 3rd bottle has heavy pills, if it is .4 gram more then 4th bottle has heavy pills, and so on.
This article is contributed by Ayush Jauhari. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Puzzle 8 | (Find the Jar with contaminated pills)
- Puzzle 10 | (A Man with Medical Condition and 2 Pills)
- Puzzle | Blind man and Pills
- Puzzle | Rat and Poisonous Milk Bottles
- Puzzles | (Cryptanalysis, Bottles Problem, Dinner Time, Mystery)
- Puzzle 1 | (How to Measure 45 minutes using two identical wires?)
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 24 | (10 Coins Puzzle)
- Puzzle 27 | (Hourglasses Puzzle)
- Puzzle 28 | (Newspaper Puzzle)
- Puzzle 29 | (Car Wheel Puzzle)
- Puzzle 31 | (Minimum cut Puzzle)
- Puzzle 33 | ( Rs 500 Note Puzzle )
- Puzzle 34 | (Prisoner and Policeman Puzzle)
- Puzzle 36 | (Matchstick Puzzle)
- Puzzle 38 | (Tic Tac Toe Puzzle)
- Puzzle 39 | (100 coins puzzle)
- Puzzle 51| Cheryl’s Birthday Puzzle and Solution
- Puzzle 81 | 100 people in a circle with gun puzzle
- Puzzle 85 | Chain Link Puzzle