How do we measure forty-five minutes using two identical wires, each of which takes an hour to burn? We have matchsticks with us. The wires burn non-uniformly. So, for example, the two halves of wire might burn in 10 minutes and 50 minutes respectively
If we light a stick, it takes 60 minutes to burn completely. What if we light the stick from both sides? It will take exactly half the original time, i.e. 30 minutes to burn completely.
- 0 minutes – Light stick 1 on both sides and stick 2 on one side.
- 30 minutes – Stick 1 will be burnt out. Light the other end of stick 2.
- 45 minutes – Stick 2 will be burnt out. Thus 45 minutes is completely measured.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Puzzle | Measure 4L using given 3 buckets
- Puzzle | 10 identical bottles of pills
- Puzzle 51| Cheryl’s Birthday Puzzle and Solution
- Puzzle 85 | Chain Link Puzzle
- Puzzle 34 | (Prisoner and Policeman Puzzle)
- Puzzle | 3 Priests and 3 devils Puzzle
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 81 | 100 people in a circle with gun puzzle
- Puzzle | Elevator Puzzle
- Puzzle 29 | (Car Wheel Puzzle)
- Puzzle 31 | (Minimum cut Puzzle)
- Puzzle 33 | ( Rs 500 Note Puzzle )
- Puzzle 36 | (Matchstick Puzzle)
- Puzzle 28 | (Newspaper Puzzle)
- Puzzle 24 | (10 Coins Puzzle)
- Puzzle 39 | (100 coins puzzle)
- Puzzle 27 | (Hourglasses Puzzle)
- Puzzle 38 | (Tic Tac Toe Puzzle)
- Puzzle | Bag of Coins
- Puzzle 54 | Fill the Jug