In a circle, if a chord is drawn then that chord divides the whole circle into two parts. These two parts of the circle are called segments of the circle. The smaller area is known as the Minor segment and the larger area is called as the Major segment.
In the figure below, the chord AB divides the circle into minor and major segments.
We are given radius of circle and angle that forms minor segment. We need to find areas of two segments.
Input : radius = 21.0 angle = 120.0 Output : Area of minor segment 270.855 Area of major segment 1114.59 Input : radius = 10.0 angle = 90.0 Output : Area of minor segment 28.5397 Area of major segment 285.619
Area of the segment :
For that, we join the end points of the chord with the center of the circle resulting in a sector which subtends some ‘angle’ at the center. And a perpendicular is drawn from the center of the circle on the chord AB. By congruence of triangles, we obtain that the ∠ AOP = ∠ BOP = 1/2(angle).
Formula for Area of Segment :
Area of Segment = Area of sector - Area of Triangle OAB = pi * r2 * (angle/360) - Area of Triangle OAB
For detailed information about formula of Area of Sector, refer https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/area-of-a-sector/.
In the figure above, assume angle made by sector = X, so ∠ AOP = ∠ BOP = X/2 Area of Triangle AOB = 1/2 * base * height = 1/2 * AB * OP Now in Triangle AOP, By trigonometry Cos(X/2) = OP/AO i.e. OP = AO * Cos(X/2) OP = r * Cos(X/2) Sin(X/2) = AP/AO i.e. AP = AO * Sin(X/2) AP = r * Sin(X/2) So, Base = AB = AP + PB = 2 * AP = 2 * r * Sin(X/2) Height = OP = r * Cos(X/2) Area of triangle = 1/2 * (2 * r * Sin(X/2)) * (r * Cos(X/2)) = 1/2 * r2 * Sin(X) [Using identity 2 * Sin(A) * Cos(A)] = Sin(2 * A)) Hence Area of Segment = pi * r2 * (angle/360) - 1/2 * r2 * Sin(angle)
Area of minor segment = 28.5397 Area of major segment = 285.619
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Find middle point segment from given segment lengths
- Find area of the larger circle when radius of the smaller circle and difference in the area is given
- Area of a Circular Sector
- Calculate Volume, Curved Surface Area and Total Surface Area Of Cylinder
- Find an Integer point on a line segment with given two ends
- Java Program for Program to calculate area of a Tetrahedron
- Python Program for Program to calculate area of a Tetrahedron
- Program to find area of a triangle
- Program to find area of a circle
- Program to find the area of a Square
- Program to find area of a Trapezoid
- Program to find the Area of Pentagon
- Program to find the Area and Volume of Icosahedron
- Program to find the surface area of the square pyramid
- Program to find volume and surface area of pentagonal prism
- Program to find the Area of a Parallelogram
- Program to find the Area and Perimeter of a Semicircle
- Program to find Area of Triangle inscribed in N-sided Regular Polygon
- Program to find Surface Area and Volume of Octagonal Prism
- Program to find all possible triangles having same Area and Perimeter
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : vt_m