IPv4 and IPv6 are internet protocol version 4 and internet protocol version 6, IP version 6 is the new version of Internet Protocol, which is way better than IP version 4 in terms of complexity and efficiency.
Difference Between IPv4 and IPv6:
|IPv4 has 32-bit address length||IPv6 has 128-bit address length|
|It Supports Manual and DHCP address configuration||It supports Auto and renumbering address configuration|
|In IPv4 end to end connection integrity is Unachievable||In IPv6 end to end connection integrity Achievable|
|It can generate 4.29×109 address space||Address space of IPv6 is quite large it can produce 3.4×1038 address space|
|Security future is dependent on application||IPSEC is inbuilt security future in the IPv6 protocol|
|Address representation of IPv4 in decimal||Address Representation of IPv6 is in hexadecimal|
|Fragmentation performed by Sender and forwarding routers||In IPv6 fragmentation performed only by sender|
|In IPv4 Packet flow identification is not available||In IPv6 packetflow identification are Available and uses flow label field in the header|
|In IPv4 checksumfield is available||In IPv6 checksumfield is not available|
|It has broadcast Message Transmission Scheme||In IPv6 multicast and any cast message trancemision scheme is available|
|In IPv4 Encryption and Authentication facility not provided||In IPv6 Encryption and Authentication are provided|
- Internet Protocol v6 | IPv6
- Computer Network | Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) Header
- Computer Network | IPv4 classless Subnet equation
- Network Layer | IPv4 Datagram Fragmentation and Delays
- Network Layer | Introduction and IPv4 Datagram Header
- Program to determine class, Network and Host ID of an IPv4 address
- Differences between TCP and UDP
- Differences between JDK, JRE and JVM
- Program to determine Class, Broadcast address and Network address of an IPv4 address
- Similarities and Differences between Ruby and C++
- What are the differences between HTTP, FTP, and SMTP?
- Differences between 8086 and 8088 microprocessors
- Similarities and Differences between Ruby and C language
- Differences between Flatten() and Ravel() | Numpy
- Differences between TreeMap, HashMap and LinkedHashMap in Java
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.