IPv4 and IPv6 are internet protocol version 4 and internet protocol version 6, IP version 6 is the new version of Internet Protocol, which is way better than IP version 4 in terms of complexity and efficiency.
Difference Between IPv4 and IPv6:
|IPv4 has 32-bit address length||IPv6 has 128-bit address length|
|It Supports Manual and DHCP address configuration||It supports Auto and renumbering address configuration|
|In IPv4 end to end connection integrity is Unachievable||In IPv6 end to end connection integrity is Achievable|
|It can generate 4.29×109 address space||Address space of IPv6 is quite large it can produce 3.4×1038 address space|
|Security feature is dependent on application||IPSEC is inbuilt security feature in the IPv6 protocol|
|Address representation of IPv4 in decimal||Address Representation of IPv6 is in hexadecimal|
|Fragmentation performed by Sender and forwarding routers||In IPv6 fragmentation performed only by sender|
|In IPv4 Packet flow identification is not available||In IPv6 packetflow identification are Available and uses flow label field in the header|
|In IPv4 checksumfield is available||In IPv6 checksumfield is not available|
|It has broadcast Message Transmission Scheme||In IPv6 multicast and any cast message transmission scheme is available|
|In IPv4 Encryption and Authentication facility not provided||In IPv6 Encryption and Authentication are provided|
|IPv4 has header of 20-60 bytes.||IPv6 has header of 40 bytes fixed|
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Transition from IPv4 to IPv6 address
- What is IPv6?
- What is IPv4?
- IPv6 Fragmentation Header
- Compression of IPv6 address
- Introduction and IPv4 Datagram Header
- IPv6 Addressing Format and Conventions
- IPv4 Datagram Fragmentation and Delays
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)
- IPv4 Classless Subnet equation
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) Header
- Program to determine class, Network and Host ID of an IPv4 address
- Differences between JDK, JRE and JVM
- Differences between TCP and UDP
- What are the differences between C and Embedded C?
- Differences between Web Services and Web API
- Differences between POP3 and IMAP
- Differences between Data paths
- Differences between Testing and Debugging
- Similarities and Differences between Ruby and C++
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.