Prerequisite – Differences between IPv4 and IPv6
When we want to send a request from an IPv4 address to an IPv6 address but it isn’t possible because IPv4 and IPv6 transition is not compatible. For solution to this problem, we use some technologies. These technologies are: Dual Stack Routers, Tunneling, and NAT Protocol Translation. These are explained as following below.
- Dual Stack Routers:
In dual stack router, A router’s interface is attached with Ipv4 and IPv6 addresses configured is used in order to transition from IPv4 to IPv6.
In this above diagram, A given server with both IPv4 and IPv6 address configured can communicate with all hosts of IPv4 and IPv6 via dual stack router (DSR). The dual stack router (DSR) gives the path for all the hosts to communicate with server without changing their IP addresses.
Tunneling is used as a medium to communicate the transit network with the different ip versions.
In this above diagram, the different IP versions such as IPv4 and IPv6 are present. The IPv4 networks can communicate with the transit or intermediate network on IPv6 with the help of Tunnel. Its also possible that the IPv6 network can also communicate with IPv4 networks with the help of Tunnel.
- NAT Protocol Translation:
By the help of NAT Protocol Translation technique, the IPv4 and IPv6 networks can also communicate with each other which do not understand the address of different IP version.
Generally, an IP version doesn’t understand the address of different IP version, for the solution of this problem we use NAT-PT device which remove the header of first (sender) IP version address and add the second (receiver) IP version address so that the Receiver IP version address understand that the request is send by the same IP version, and its vice-versa is also possible.
In above diagram, an IPv4 address communicate with the IPv6 address via NAT-PT device to communicate easily. In this situation IPv6 address understand that the request is send by the same IP version (IPv6) and it respond.My Personal Notes arrow_drop_up
- Differences between IPv4 and IPv6
- Program to determine class, Network and Host ID of an IPv4 address
- Difference Between Network Address Translation (NAT) and Port Address Translation (PAT)
- Difference between MAC Address and IP Address
- IPv6 Addressing Format and Conventions
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) Header
- Introduction and IPv4 Datagram Header
- IPv4 Classless Subnet equation
- IPv4 Datagram Fragmentation and Delays
- Concept Of Address Split in OS
- Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Three address code in Compiler
- Extracting MAC address using Python
- Finding IP address of a URL in Java
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.