Python program to find files having a particular extension using RegEx
Prerequisite: Regular Expression in Python
Many of the times we need to search for a particular type of file from a list of different types of files. And we can do so with only a few lines of code using python. And the cool part is we don’t need to install any external package, python has a built-in package called re, with which we can easily write the program for performing this task.
- This program searches for the files having “.xml” extension from a list of different files.
- Make a regular expression/pattern : “\.xml$”
- Here re.search() function is used to check for a match anywhere in the string (name of the file). It basically returns the match object when the pattern is found and if the pattern is not found it returns null.
- The functionality of different Metacharacters used here:
Here “.xml” pattern is searched and processed.
- \ It is used to specify a special meaning of character after it. It is also used to escape special characters.
- $ The string ends with the pattern which is before it.
Below is the implementation:
"The file ending with .xml is:"
The file ending with .xml is: geeks.xml
Whether you're preparing for your first job interview or aiming to upskill in this ever-evolving tech landscape, GeeksforGeeks Courses
are your key to success. We provide top-quality content at affordable prices, all geared towards accelerating your growth in a time-bound manner. Join the millions we've already empowered, and we're here to do the same for you. Don't miss out - check it out now!