Binary Search is a technique used to search element in a sorted list. In this article, we will looking at library functions to do Binary Search.
Finding first occurrence of an element.
bisect.bisect_left(a, x, lo=0, hi=len(a)) : Returns leftmost insertion point of x in a sorted list. Last two parameters are optional, they are used to search in sublist.
First occurrence of 4 is present at 2
Finding greatest value smaller than x.
Largest value smaller than 7 is at index 3
Finding rightmost occurrence
bisect.bisect_right(a, x, lo=0, hi=len(a)) Returns rightmost insertion point of x in a sorted list a. Last two parameters are optional, they are used to search in sublist.
Last occurrence of 4 is present at 3
Please refer Binary Search for writing your own Binary Search code.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- Bisect Algorithm Functions in Python
- Meta Binary Search | One-Sided Binary Search
- Interpolation search vs Binary search
- Why is Binary Search preferred over Ternary Search?
- Linear Search vs Binary Search
- Python Program for Anagram Substring Search (Or Search for all permutations)
- Sublist Search (Search a linked list in another list)
- Repeatedly search an element by doubling it after every successful search
- Best First Search (Informed Search)
- Python Program for Binary Search (Recursive and Iterative)
- Number Guessing Game in Python using Binary Search
- Binary Search Visualization using Pygame in Python
- The Ubiquitous Binary Search | Set 1
- Unbounded Binary Search Example (Find the point where a monotonically increasing function becomes positive first time)
- A Problem in Many Binary Search Implementations
- Longest Common Prefix using Binary Search
- Finding minimum vertex cover size of a graph using binary search
- Binary Search functions in C++ STL (binary_search, lower_bound and upper_bound)
- Binary Search
- Randomized Binary Search Algorithm
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.