Prerequisite: Regular Expression in Python
Many of the times we need to search for a particular type of file from a list of different types of files. And we can do so with only a few lines of code using python. And the cool part is we don’t need to install any external package, python has a built-in package called re, with which we can easily write the program for performing this task.
- This program searches for the files having “.xml” extension from a list of different files.
- Make a regular expression/pattern : “\.xml$”
- Here re.search() function is used to check for a match anywhere in the string (name of the file). It basically returns the match object when the pattern is found and if the pattern is not found it returns null.
- The functionality of different Metacharacters used here:
- \ It is used to specify a special meaning of character after it. It is also used to escape special characters.
- $ The string ends with the pattern which is before it.
- Here “.xml” pattern is searched and processed.
Below is the implementation:
The file ending with .xml is: geeks.xml
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course. And to begin with your Machine Learning Journey, join the Machine Learning – Basic Level Course