There are 5 pirates, they must decide how to distribute 100 gold coins among them. The pirates have seniority levels, the senior-most is A, then B, then C, then D, and finally the junior-most is E.
Rules of distribution are:
- The most senior pirate proposes a distribution of coins.
- All pirates vote on whether to accept the distribution.
- If the distribution is accepted, the coins are disbursed and the game ends.
- If not, the proposer is thrown and dies, and the next most senior pirate makes a new proposal to begin the system again.
- In case of a tie vote the proposer can has the casting vote
Rules every pirates follows.
- Every pirate wants to survive
- Given survival, each pirate wants to maximize the number of gold coins he receives.
What is the maximum number of coins that pirate A might get?
The answer is 98 which is not intuitive.
A uses below facts to get 98.
- Consider the situation when A, B and C die, only D and E are left. E knows that he will not get anything (D is senior and will make a distribution of (100, 0). So E would be find with anything greater than 0.
- Consider the situation when A and B die, C, D and E are left. D knows that he will not get anything (C will make a distribution of (99, 0, 1)and E will vote in favor of C).
- Consider the situation when A dies. B, C, D and E are left. To survive, B only needs to give 1 coin to D. So distribution is (99, 0, 1, 0)
- Similarly A knows about point 3, so he just needs to give 1 coin to C and 1 coin to E to get them in favor. So distribution is (98, 0, 1, 0, 1).
- Puzzle | Pirates and Gems
- Puzzle | Nineteen Pirates and the King
- Puzzle 39 | (100 coins puzzle)
- Puzzle 4 | (Pay an employee using a 7 units gold rod?)
- Puzzle 62 | Gold or Silver
- Puzzle 24 | (10 Coins Puzzle)
- Optimal Strategy for a Game | Special Gold Coin
- Minimum number of cuts required to pay salary from N length Gold Bar
- Puzzle 11 | (1000 Coins and 10 Bags)
- Puzzle | 3 Glass and 10 Coins
- Puzzle | Bag of Coins
- Puzzle | Guess the total number of coins
- Puzzle 81 | 100 people in a circle with gun puzzle
- Puzzle | Set 35 (2 Eggs and 100 Floors)
- Puzzle | 100 Cows And Milk
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 34 | (Prisoner and Policeman Puzzle)
- Puzzle 51| Cheryl’s Birthday Puzzle and Solution
- Puzzle | 3 Priests and 3 devils Puzzle
- Puzzle 13 | (100 Prisoners with Red/Black Hats)
The idea is based on the fact that what B will distribute if A dies (B would always want A to die). If A gives more coins to 2 people than B would have given, A wins.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above