Interesting Facts About Android
Android is a Mobile Operating System that was released on 23, September 2008. Android is free, open-source operating system and is based on modified version of Linux kernel. Open Handset Alliance (OHA) developed the Android and Google commercially sponsored it. It is mainly designed for touchscreen devices such as smartphones and tablets. Android is supported on different platforms like 32- and 64-bit ARM, x86, and x86-64. Android is available in more than 100 languages with Graphical (multi-touch) as the default user interface.
Journey of ANDROID from first version to latest version:
- Android 1.0 (2008) – No Version Name
- Android 1.1 2009) – Petit Four
- Android 1.5 (2009) – Cupcake
- Android 1.6 (2009) – Donut
- Android 2.0 – 2.1 (2009) – Éclair
- Android 2.2 – 2.2.3 (2010) – Froyo
- Android 2.3 – 2.3.7 (2010) – Gingerbread
- Android 3.0 – 3.2.6 (2011) – Honeycomb
- Android 4.0 – 4.0.4 (2011) – Ice Cream Sandwich
- Android 4.1 – 4.3.1 (2012) – Jelly Bean
- Android 4.4 – 4.4.4 (2013) – KitKat
- Android 5.0 – 5.1.1 (2014) – Lollipop
- Android 6.0 – 6.0.1 (2015) – Marshmallow
- Android 7.0 – 7.1.2 (2016) – Nougat
- Android 8.0 – 8.1 (2017) – Oreo
- Android 9.0 (2018) – Pie
- Android 10 (2019) – Android 10
Here are some facts about Android :
- Android’s creator is Andy Rubin.
- Android Inc. developed Android operating system and Google bought it in 2005, with a huge amount of $50 million.
- Prior to Google, an offer was given to Samsung to buy Android Inc. but they find Android uninteresting and reject the offer.
- Initially, Android was developed as an operating system for digital cameras but later on, it focuses on Smart Phones.
- Android is written in many languages like Java, C, C++, XML, Assembly language, Python, Shell script, Go, Make, D.
- HTC Dream or T-Mobile G1 was the first smartphone that runs on Android operating system.
- HTC Dream or T-Mobile G1 was launched in 2008 with no headphone jack and required an adapter.
- Android captures 88% of total smart phone market whereas IOS captures 11% market share.
- Currently, more than 2 billion smart devices use Google Android OS as their operating system.
- The word Android refers to a male robot, whereas a female robot is known as “Gynoid“.
- Android is an open source software, which means its source code is freely available. Anyone can modify the source code and add new & unique features.
- All Android versions are named in alphabetical order, along with the name of sweet deserts associated with that alphabet like Cupcake, Donut etc.
- The Logging System of Android has a method named as “wtf()” which stands for “What a Terrible Failure”.
- In 2010, Anssi Vanjoki, CEO of Nokia, made a hilarious comment on Android. He said the use of Android is like a Finnish boy peeing his pants to stay warm.
- Android’s Google Store has more than 48 billion apps installed in it, and most of them are free of cost.
- NASA once used Nexus S handsets (device based on Android Gingerbread), in their floating space Robots.
- The sale of Android devices is more than the combined sale of Microsoft Windows, iOS, and Mac OS devices.
- Microsoft earns around $2 billion yearly in patent royalties, from the sale of Android devices.
- Even Google Maps uses the speed of Android Mobiles to calculate the traffic on roads.
- Google had to made a deal with Nestle in order to use the name “Kit-Kat” for Android version 4.4.
Whether you're preparing for your first job interview or aiming to upskill in this ever-evolving tech landscape, GeeksforGeeks Courses
are your key to success. We provide top-quality content at affordable prices, all geared towards accelerating your growth in a time-bound manner. Join the millions we've already empowered, and we're here to do the same for you. Don't miss out - check it out now!