Colour segmentation or color filtering is widely used in OpenCV for identifying specific objects/regions having a specific color. The most widely used colour space is RGB color space, it is called an additive color space as the three color shades add up to give the color to the image. To identify a region of a specific colour, put the threshold and create a mask to separate the different colors. HSV color space is much more useful for this purpose as the colors in HSV space is much more localized thus can be easily separated. Color Filtering has many applications and use cases such as in Cryptography, infrared analysis, food preservation of perishable foods etc. In such cases, the concepts of Image processing can be used to find out or extract out regions of a particular color.
For color segmentation, all we need is the threshold values or the knowledge of the lower bound and upper bound range of colors in one of the color spaces. It works best in Hue-Saturation-Value color space.
After specifying the range of color to be segmented, it is needed to create a mask accordingly and by using it, a particular region of interest can be separated out.
Below is the code:
Blue Color segmented regions-
- Color Spaces in OpenCV | Python
- Python | OpenCV BGR color palette with trackbars
- Detection of a specific color(blue here) using OpenCV with Python
- Opening multiple color windows to capture using OpenCV in Python
- Spatial Filters - Averaging filter and Median filter in Image Processing
- Difference between Low pass filter and High pass filter
- Display the red, green and blue color planes of a color image in MATLAB
- Python - Filter key's value from other key
- Gaussian Filter Generation in C++
- Python - Filter Key from Nested item
- Python - Filter Non-None dictionary Keys
- Bloom Filter in Java with Examples
- Noise removal using Median filter in C++
- Python | Filter Tuple Dictionary Keys
- Python - Filter above Threshold size Strings
- Python | Filter the negative values from given dictionary
- Python - Filter and Double keys greater than K
- Python - Filter Range Length Tuples
- Python - Filter odd elements from value lists in dictionary
- Python | Unique dictionary filter in list
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.