Defects are basically considered as destructive in all software development stages. Any unexpected things that occur in software stages are defective in that particular software. To establish a defect management process is the most attractive and best way to increase and improve the quality of software. There is no such software that is present without any defect.
Defects are present in whole life of software because software is developed by humans and “to err is human” i.e. it is natural for human beings to make mistakes. Number of defects can be reduced by resolving or fixing but it is impossible to make a software error or defect-free. Defect Management Process (DMP), as name suggests, is a process of managing defects by simply identifying and resolving or fixing defects. If defect management process is done in more efficient manner with full focus, then less buggy software will be available more in the market.
Goals of Defect Management Process (DMP) :
- Prevent the defect
- Detection at an early stage
- Reduce the impact or effects of defect on software
- Resolving or fixing defects
- Improving process and performance of software
The main purpose of DMP for different projects or organization is given below :
- Operational support for simply resolving and retesting defects being found.
- To give input for status and progress report regarding defect.
- To give input for advice regarding release of defect.
- To identify the main reason that the defect occurred and how to handle it.
Advantages of DMP :
- Availability of automation tools :
Defect tracking is one of the most important processes of defect management process. There are several automation tools available for defect tracking. Different tools are available nowadays to track different types of defects such as software tools to detect or track non-technical problems, user-facing tools to detect defects that are related to production or use of internal automated tools to detect defects by development team.
- Ensure Resolution :
This defect management process also helps to ensure that whether or not all defects that were found or were tracked are resolved or fixed or not. In simple words, it helps us to ensure the resolution of defects being tracked.
- Provide Valuable Metrics :
DMP also provides valuable defect metrics along with automation tools. These defect metrics help in reporting and continuous improvements.
Disadvantages of DMP :
- If DMP is not handled properly, then there will a huge increased cost in a creeping i.e. increase in price of product.
- If errors or defects are not managed properly at early stage, then afterwords, defect might cause greater damage, and costs to fix or resolve the defect will also get increased.
- There will be other disadvantages also like loss of revenue, loss of customers, damaged brand reputations if DMP is not done properly.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Process Improvement in Defect Management Process (DMP)
- Different Defect States available in Defect Life Cycle
- Stages of Defect Management Process
- Roles and Responsibilities of Participants of Defect Triage Process
- Steps in Defect Triage Process
- Activities Performed during Defect Triage Process
- Defect Resolution Process
- Defect Analysis Process
- Defect Triage- a simple process
- Difference between Project Management and Process Management
- Defect Priority
- Software Engineering | Differences between defect, bug and failure
- Categories of Software Defect
- Defect Severity
- Defect prevention Role and Responsibility of Team
- Different participants of Defect Life Cycle
- Defect Triage Meeting
- Defect Triage Report Format
- Different States of Defect and Workflow
- Guidelines to establish Defect Life Cycle
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.