Defect Analysis is not one only key to achieve success but is considered to be one of these keys. Defect analysis is a process that includes both inputs as well as individual defects along with across defects simply by classifications, product lines, revision history, product lines, teams involved, etc. It basically moves teams closer to goal of zero defects.
Defect analysis should be considered as a priority for generating future software development improvements and success. The main target of defect analysis is to analyze defects, identify root causes of defect, and then developing and taking measures or actions to minimize defects. Defect analysis is usually performed with help of knowledge learned and gained from defects that were discovered previously.
Defect Analysis Process :
- Identifying or determining defects is initial step performed in defect analysis.
- Defect that is being identified are analyzed by testers.
- After analyzing, main root cause of defect should be determined and defined.
- After analyzing root cause, various measures and actions should be taken and implemented that are required to fix main root cause of defect so that further re-occurrence of defect can be eliminated or minimized.
- After successful elimination, one needs to validate i.e. check or prove that measures are taken actually prevented defect from re-occurrence.
Advantages of Defect Analysis Process :
- Provide feedback to developers because developers generally improve and increase both quality and productivity of software products.
- By resolving defects, their impact can prevent in other areas.
- Defect analysis reduces re-occurrence of defect, due to which rework required to resolve it is reduced, re-inspection is also reduced, cost required for resolving defect is reduced and costs that is incurred due low software quality is reduced.
- For better defect analysis, there should be proper communication among development teams, testing teams, managers. Therefore, defect analysis improves communication among groups.
- Overall Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) time is improved. Defects are prevented from re-occurrence due to which time required for rework is reduced or minimized as result of which process cycle time is improved.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Different Defect States available in Defect Life Cycle
- Process Improvement in Defect Management Process (DMP)
- Roles and Responsibilities of Participants of Defect Triage Process
- Steps in Defect Triage Process
- Activities Performed during Defect Triage Process
- Defect Resolution Process
- Stages of Defect Management Process
- Defect Triage- a simple process
- Defect Management Process
- Defect Priority
- Software Engineering | Differences between defect, bug and failure
- Categories of Software Defect
- Defect Severity
- Defect prevention Role and Responsibility of Team
- Different participants of Defect Life Cycle
- Defect Triage Meeting
- Defect Triage Report Format
- Different States of Defect and Workflow
- Guidelines to establish Defect Life Cycle
- Different steps involved in Defect Prevention
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.