Smoke Testing | Software Testing
Prerequisite – Types of Software Testing
Smoke Testing is a software testing method that determines whether the employed build is stable or not. It acts as a confirmation whether the quality assurance team can proceed with further testing. Smoke tests are a minimum set of tests run on each build.
Smoke testing is a process where the software build is deployed to quality assurance environment and is verified to ensure the stability of the application. Smoke Testing is also known as Confidence Testing or Build Verification Testing.
In other words, we verify whether the important features are working and there are no showstoppers in the build that is under testing.
It is a mini and quick regression test of major functionality. Smoke testing shows that the product is ready for testing. This helps in determining if the build is flawed as to make any further testing a waste of time and resources.
Characteristics of Smoke Testing:
Following are the characteristics of the smoke testing:
- Smoke testing is documented.
- Smoke testing may be stable as well as unstable.
- Smoke testing is scripted.
- Smoke testing is type of regression testing.
Smoke Testing is usually carried out by the quality assurance engineers.
Goal of Smoke Testing:
The aim of Smoke Testing is:
- To detect any early defects in software product.
- To demonstrate system stability.
- To demonstrate conformance to requirements.
- To assure that the acute functionalities of program is working fine.
- To measures the stability of the software product by performing testing.
- To test all over function of the software product.
Types of Smoke Testing:
There are 2 types of Smoke Testing: Manual, and Automation.
Advantages of Smoke Testing:
- Smoke testing is easy to perform.
- It helps in identifying defects in early stages.
- It improves the quality of the system.
- Smoke testing reduces the risk of failure.
- Smoke testing makes progress easier to access.
- It saves test effort and time.
- It makes easy to detect critical errors and helps in correction of errors.
- It runs quickly.
- It minimizes integration risks.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.