The z-index property is used to displace elements on the z-axis i.e in or out of the screen. It is used to define the order of elements if they overlap on each other.
- auto: The stack order is equal to that of the parent(default).
- number: The stack order depends in the number.
- initial: Sets the property to its default value.
- inherit: Inherits the property from the parent element.
In the Example-1 the z-index is set to -1 therefore, the image appears behind the text but in Example-2 when the z-index is set to +1 the image hides the text.
Supported Browsers: The browser supported by z-index property are listed below:
- Google Chrome 1.0
- Edge 12.0
- Firefox 1.0
- Opera 4.0
- Apple Safari 1.0
- HTML | DOM Style zIndex Property
- CSS | transition-property Property
- CSS | right Property
- CSS | nav-down property
- CSS | nav-right property
- CSS | nav-up property
- CSS | all Property
- CSS | top Property
- CSS | quotes Property
- CSS | order property
- CSS | border-top Property
- CSS | box-sizing Property
- CSS | margin-right Property
- CSS | max-width Property
- HTML | DOM URL Property