Given the angle subtended by an arc at the circle circumference X, the task is to find the angle subtended by an arc at the centre of a circle.
Input: X = 30
Input: X = 90
- When we draw the radius AD and the chord CB, we get three small triangles.
- The three triangles ABC, ADB and ACD are isosceles as AB, AC and AD are radiuses of the circle.
- So in each of these triangles, the two acute angles (s, t and u) in each are equal.
- From the diagram, we can see
D = t + u (i)
- In triangle ABC,
s + s + A = 180 (angles in triangle) ie, A = 180 - 2s (ii)
- In triangle BCD,
(t + s) + (s + u) + (u + t) = 180 (angles in triangle again) so 2s + 2t + 2u = 180 ie 2t + 2u = 180 - 2s (iii)
A = 2t + 2u = 2D from (i), (ii) and (iii)
- Hence Proved that ‘the angle at the centre is twice the angle at the circumference‘.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Time Complexity: O(1)
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Angle subtended by the chord to center of the circle when the angle subtended by the another equal chord of a congruent circle is given
- Angle subtended by the chord when the angle subtended by another chord of same length is given
- Program to calculate angle on circumference subtended by the chord when the central angle subtended by the chord is given
- Length of the chord of the circle whose radius and the angle subtended at the center by the chord is given
- Nth angle of a Polygon whose initial angle and per angle increment is given
- Arc length from given Angle
- Equation of circle from centre and radius
- Shortest distance from the centre of a circle to a chord
- Radius of the circle when the width and height of an arc is given
- Exterior angle of a cyclic quadrilateral when the opposite interior angle is given
- Angle between a chord and a tangent when angle in the alternate segment is given
- Area of Triangle using Side-Angle-Side (length of two sides and the included angle)
- Program to calculate area of inner circle which passes through center of outer circle and touches its circumference
- Equation of circle when three points on the circle are given
- Check if a circle lies inside another circle or not
- Find area of the larger circle when radius of the smaller circle and difference in the area is given
- Area of the circle that has a square and a circle inscribed in it
- Calculate the angle between hour hand and minute hand
- Find other two sides of a right angle triangle
- Find if it's possible to rotate the page by an angle or not.
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.