Software Testing Life Cycle (STLC) is a sequence of different activities performed during the software testing process.
Characteristics of STLC:
- STLC is a fundamental part of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) but STLC consists of only the testing phases.
- STLC starts as soon as requirements are defined or software requirement document is shared by stakeholders.
- STLC yields a step-by-step process to ensure quality software.
In the initial stages of STLC, while the software product or the application is being developed, the testing team analyzes and defines the scope of testing, entry and exit criteria and also the test cases. It helps to reduce the test cycle time and also enhance the product quality.
As soon as the development phase is over, testing team is ready with test cases and start the execution. This helps in finding bugs in the early phase.
Phases of STLC:
- Requirement Analysis:
Requirement Analysis is the first step of Software Testing Life Cycle (STLC). In this phase quality assurance team understands the requirements like what is to be tested. If anything is missing or not understandable then quality assurance team meets with the stakeholders to better understand the detail knowledge of requirement.
- Test Planning:
Test Planning is most efficient phase of software testing life cycle where all testing plans are defined. In this phase manager of the testing team calculates estimated effort and cost for the testing work. This phase gets started once the requirement gathering phase is completed.
- Test Case Development:
The test case development phase gets started once the test planning phase is completed. In this phase testing team note down the detailed test cases. Testing team also prepare the required test data for the testing. When the test cases are prepared then they are reviewed by quality assurance team.
- Test Environment Setup:
Test environment setup is the vital part of the STLC. Basically test environment decides the conditions on which software is tested. This is independent activity and can be started along with test case development. In this process the testing team is not involved. either the developer or the customer creates the testing environment.
- Test Execution:
After the test case development and test environment setup test execution phase gets started. In this phase testing team start executing test cases based on prepared test cases in the earlier step.
- Test Closure:
This is the last stage of STLC in which the process of testing is analyzed.
- Software Engineering | Information System Life Cycle
- Software Engineering | Comparison of different life cycle models
- Software Engineering | Object-oriented Life Cycle Model
- Software Engineering | Program Development Life Cycle (PDLC)
- Software Engineering | Database application system life cycle
- Software Engineering | Differences between Sanity Testing and Smoke Testing
- Software Engineering | Comparison between Regression Testing and Re-Testing
- Software Testing | Scenario Testing
- Sandwich Testing | Software Testing
- Software Testing | Reliability Testing
- Software Testing | Scalability Testing
- Smoke Testing | Software Testing
- Performance Testing | Software Testing
- Beta Testing | Software Testing
- Software Testing | Non-functional Testing
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.