Puzzle: You have a birthday cake and have to cut it into 8 equal pieces by making 3 cuts only. How do you do it?
Solution: The solution can be divided into 3 basic steps. But apart from this there are also other method of executing this task.
Step 1: Cut the cake into quarters (4 pieces) using 2 of the cuts – one horizontally down the centre of the cake and the other vertically down the centre of the cake. This will leave you with 4 pieces (or slices) of cake.
Step 2: Then take all 4 pieces and arrange them in a stack that is 4 pieces high.
Step 3: Finally, you can just cut that stack of 4 pieces in half – using your third and final cut – and then you will end up with 8 pieces of cake!
Note: There are other methods too to complete this task.
- Puzzle-61| Cake and my friend
- Puzzle | Toll and Cake
- Puzzle | Neighbors in a round table
- Puzzle | (Round table coin game)
- Range and Update Query for Chessboard Pieces
- Puzzle | Divide a Square into 5 parts such that 4 parts among them are equal
- Minimum number of cuts required to pay salary from N length Gold Bar
- Puzzle 51| Cheryl’s Birthday Puzzle and Solution
- Puzzle 34 | (Prisoner and Policeman Puzzle)
- Puzzle 81 | 100 people in a circle with gun puzzle
- Puzzle | 3 Priests and 3 devils Puzzle
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
- Puzzle 85 | Chain Link Puzzle
- Round to next smaller multiple of 8
- Round to next greater multiple of 8
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : Chinmoy Lenka