Mean is average of a given set of data. Let us consider below example
These eight data points have the mean (average) of 5:
Where μ is mean and x1, x2, x3…., xi are elements.Also note that mean is sometimes denoted by
Variance is the sum of squares of differences between all numbers and means.
Deviation for above example. First, calculate the deviations of each data point from the mean, and square the result of each:
variance = = 4.
Where μ is Mean, N is the total number of elements or frequency of distribution.
Standard Deviation is square root of variance. It is a measure of the extent to which data varies from the mean.
Standard Deviation (for above data) = = 2
Why did mathematicians chose a square and then square root to find deviation, why not simply take the difference of values?
One reason is the sum of differences becomes 0 according to the definition of mean. Sum of absolute differences could be an option, but with absolute differences, it was difficult to prove many nice theorems. [Source: MIT Video Lecture at 1:19]
- Value of standard deviation is 0 if all entries in input are same.
- If we add (or subtract) a number say 7 to all values in the input set, mean is increased (or decreased) by 7, but standard deviation doesn’t change.
- If we multiply all values in the input set by a number 7, both mean and standard deviation is multiplied by 7. But if we multiply all input values with a negative number say -7, mean is multiplied by -7, but the standard deviation is multiplied by 7.
- Standard deviation and varience is a measure which tells how spread out numbers is. While variance gives you a rough idea of spread, the standard deviation is more concrete, giving you exact distances from the mean.
- Mean, median and mode are the measure of central tendency of data (either grouped or ungrouped).
Some Interesting Facts:
Below questions have been asked in previous year GATE exams
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Variance and standard-deviation of a matrix
- Given N and Standard Deviation, find N elements
- Program to implement standard deviation of grouped data
- Find combined mean and variance of two series
- Program for Mean Absolute Deviation
- Canonical and Standard Form
- Set in C++ Standard Template Library (STL)
- Data encryption standard (DES) | Set 1
- Program to implement standard error of mean
- Strength of Data encryption standard (DES)
- Calculate the IST : Indian Standard Time
- Modifications to standard Turing Machine
- Standard Normal Distribution (SND) - Java Program
- Mathematics | Probability
- Mathematics | Generalized PnC Set 1
- Mathematics | Generalized PnC Set 2
- Power in Mathematics
- Mathematics | Power Set and its Properties
- Mathematics | Lagrange's Mean Value Theorem
- Mathematics | Rolle's Mean Value Theorem
Improved By : VaibhavRai3