HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is used to design web pages using markup language. HTML is the combination of Hypertext and Markup language. Hypertext defines the link between the web pages. Markup language is used to define the text document within tag which defines the structure of web pages. This language is used to annotate (make notes for the computer) text so that a machine can understand it and manipulate text accordingly. Most of markup (e.g. HTML) languages are human readable. Language uses tags to define what manipulation has to be done on the text.
HTML is a markup language which is used by the browser to manipulate text, images and other content to display it in required format. HTML was created by Tim Berners-Lee in 1991. The first ever version of HTML was HTML 1.0 but the first standard version was HTML 2.0 which was published in 1999.
Elements and Tag: HTML uses predefined tags and elements which tells the browser about content display property. If a tag is not closed then browser applies that effect till end of page.
HTML page structure: The Basic structure of HTML page is given below. It contain some elements like head, title, body, … etc. These elements are used to build the blocks of web pages.
<DOCTYPE! html>: This tag is used to tells the HTML version. This currently tells that the version is HTML 5.
<html>: This is called HTML root element and used to wrap all the code.
<head>: Head tag contains metadata, title, page CSS etc. All the HTML elements that can be used inside the <head> element are:
<body>: Body tag is used to enclosed all the data which a web page has from texts to links. All of the content that you see rendered in the browser is contained within this element.
Example: HTML page can be created using any text editor (notepad). Then save that file using .htm or .html extension and open that file in browser. It will get the HTML page response.
Features of HTML:
- It is easy to learn and easy to use.
- It is platform independent.
- Images, video and audio can be added to a web page.
- Hypertext can be added to text.
- It is a markup language.
Why learn HTML?
- It is a simple markup language. Its implementation is easy.
- It is used to create a website.
- Helps in developing fundamentals about web programming.
- Boost professional career.
- HTML is used to build a websites.
- It is supported by all browsers.
- HTML can create only static webpages so for dynamic web page other languages have to be used.
- Large amount of code has to be written to create a simple web page.
- Security feature is not good.
Note: Please go through https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/html-basics/ for HTML basics.
- Introduction to HTML CSS | Learn to Design your First Website in Just 1 Week
- HTML | <html> Tag
- HTML Course | Structure of an HTML Document
- HTML Course | Basics of HTML
- HTML | DOM HTML Object
- HTML | <html> xmlns Attribute
- What is the difference between <html lang="en'> and <html lang="en-US'> ?
- Inline HTML Helper - HTML Helpers in ASP.NET MVC
- WordPress | Introduction
- Introduction to Web Scraping
- PHP | Introduction
- CSS Introduction
- Hadoop - Introduction
- Introduction of Microprocessor
- Mathematics | Introduction to Proofs
- DHTML | Introduction
- XHTML | Introduction
- Introduction of Variable Length Subnet Mask (VLSM)
- REST API (Introduction)
- Introduction of Programming Paradigms
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : AryanVerma