Prerequisite: Python Language Introduction
OpenCV is the huge open-source library for computer vision, machine learning, and image processing and now it plays a major role in real-time operation which is very important in today’s systems. By using it, one can process images and videos to identify objects, faces, or even the handwriting of a human. When it integrated with various libraries, such as Numpuy, python is capable of processing the OpenCV array structure for analysis. To Identify image patterns and its various features we use vector space and perform mathematical operations on these features.
To install OpenCV, one must have Python and PIP, preinstalled on their system. To check if your system already contains Python, go through the following instructions:
Open the terminal using
Now run the following command:
If Python is already installed, it will generate a message with the Python version available.
If Python is not present, go through How to install Python on Linux? and follow the instructions provided.
PIP is a package management system used to install and manage software packages/libraries written in Python. These files are stored in a large “on-line repository” termed as Python Package Index (PyPI).
To check if PIP is already installed on your system, just go to the terminal and execute the following command:
If PIP is not present, go through How to install PIP on Linux? and follow the instructions provided.
Downloading and Installing OpenCV:
OpenCV can be directly downloaded and installed with the use of pip (package manager). To install OpenCV, just go to the terminal and type the following command:
pip3 install opencv-python
Beginning with the installation:
- Type the command in the Terminal and proceed:
- Collecting Information and downloading data:
- Installing Packages:
- Finished Installation:
To check if OpenCV is correctly installed, just run the following commands to perform a version check:
python3 >>>import cv2 >>>print(cv2.__version__)
- How to install OpenCV for Python in Windows?
- How to install Python on Linux?
- How to install Python Pycharm on Linux?
- How to Install Python Pandas on Windows and Linux?
- How to install requests in Python - For windows, linux, mac
- How to download and install Python Latest Version on Linux
- How to install PIP in Linux?
- How to install Anaconda on Linux?
- How to install Jupyter Notebook in Linux?
- How to install Selenium in Python
- How to install Python on Windows?
- OpenCV - Facial Landmarks and Face Detection using dlib and OpenCV
- How to install Python Pycharm on Windows?
- How to install Librosa Library in Python
- How to Install Python Tensorflow in Windows?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.