Let’s discuss about parallel computing and hardware architecture of parallel computing in this post. Note that there are two types of computing but we only learn parallel computing here. As we are going to learn parallel computing for that we should know following terms.
- Era of computing –
The two fundamental and dominant models of computing are sequential and parallel. The sequential computing era began in the 1940s and the parallel (and distributed) computing era followed it within a decade.
- Computing –
So, now the question arises that what is Computing?
Computing is any goal-oriented activity requiring, benefiting from, or creating computers. Computing includes designing, developing and building hardware and software systems; designing a mathematical sequence of steps known as an algorithm; processing, structuring and managing various kinds of information
- Type of Computing –
Following are two types of computing :
- Parallel computing
- Distributed computing
Parallel computing –
As in this article, we are going to learn Parallel computing so what is parallel processing?
Processing of multiple tasks simultaneously on multiple processors is called parallel processing. The parallel program consists of multiple active processes (tasks) simultaneously solving a given problem.
As we learn what is parallel computing and there type now we are going more deeply on the topic of the parallel computing and understand the concept of the hardware architecture of parallel computing.
Hardware architecture of parallel computing –
The hardware architecture of parallel computing is disturbed along the following categories as given below :
1. Single-instruction, single-data (SISD) systems
2. Single-instruction, multiple-data (SIMD) systems
3. Multiple-instruction, single-data (MISD) systems
4. Multiple-instruction, multiple-data (MIMD) systems
Refer to learn about the hardware architecture of parallel computing – Flynn’s taxonomy
Hardware computing –
Computer hardware is the collection of physical parts of a computer system. This includes the computer case, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. It also includes all the parts inside the computer case, such as the hard disk drive, motherboard, video card, and many others. Computer hardware is what you can physically touch.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Computer Organization and Architecture | Pipelining | Set 1 (Execution, Stages and Throughput)
- Computer Organization and Architecture | Pipelining | Set 3 (Types and Stalling)
- Computer Organization and Architecture | Pipelining | Set 2 (Dependencies and Data Hazard)
- Computer Architecture | Flynn's taxonomy
- Introduction to quantum computing
- Computer Organization | Von Neumann architecture
- Parallel processing - systolic arrays
- Differences between Computer Architecture and Computer Organization
- Introduction to Parallel Computing
- Interaction of a Program with Hardware
- Microarchitecture and Instruction Set Architecture
- Conventional Computing vs Quantum Computing
- Architecture of 8086
- UltraSPARC Architecture
- SIC/XE Architecture
- PowerPC Architecture
- VAX Architecture
- Cray T3E Architecture
- Pentium Pro Architecture
- Hardware Protection and Type of Hardware Protection
Improved By : saurabhhjjain