Hardware refers to the physical components of a computer. Computer Hardware is any part of the computer that we can touch these parts. These are the primary electronic devices used to build up the computer. Examples of hardware in a computer are the Processor, Memory Devices, Monitor, Printer, Keyboard, Mouse, and the Central Processing Unit.
Software is a collection of instructions, procedures, documentation that performs different tasks on a computer system. we can say also Computer Software is a programming code executed on a computer processor. The code can be machine-level code or the code written for an operating system. Examples of software are Ms Word, Excel, Power Point, Google Chrome, Photoshop, MySQL etc.
Difference Between Hardware and Software:
|Hardware is a physical parts computer that cause processing of data.||Software is a set of instruction that tells a computer exactly what to do.|
|It is manufactured.||It is developed and engineered.|
|Hardware can not perform any task without software.||software can not be executed without hardware.|
|As Hardware are physical electronic devices, we can see and touch hardware.||We can see and also use the software but can’t actually touch them.|
|It has four main categories: input device, output devices, storage, and internal components.||It is mainly divided into System software, Programming software and Application software.|
|Hardware is not affected by computer viruses.||Software is affected by computer viruses.|
|It can not be transferred from one place to another electrically through network.||But, it can be transferred.|
|If hardware is damaged, it is replaced with new one.||If software is damaged, its backup copy can be reinstalled.|
|Ex: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Printer, CPU, Hard disk, RAM, ROM etc.||Ex: Ms Word, Excel, Power Point, Photoshop, MySQL etc.|
- Hardware Protection and Type of Hardware Protection
- Interaction of a Program with Hardware
- Hardware architecture (parallel computing)
- Difference between Packaged Software and Custom Software
- Is There Any Difference Between Software Developer And Software Engineer?
- Difference between System Software and Application Software
- Difference between Generic Software Development and Custom Software Development
- Difference between Application Software and Operating System
- Difference between Traditional and Agile Software Development
- Difference between Software Testing and Embedded Testing
- Difference Between SEO and SEM
- Difference between CD and DVD
- Difference between Blu-ray and DVD
- Difference between OOP and POP
- What is the difference between GUI and CUI?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.