Hardware refers to the physical components of a computer. Computer Hardware is any part of the computer that we can touch these parts. These are the primary electronic devices used to build up the computer. Examples of hardware in a computer are the Processor, Memory Devices, Monitor, Printer, Keyboard, Mouse, and the Central Processing Unit.
Software is a collection of instructions, procedures, documentation that performs different tasks on a computer system. we can say also Computer Software is a programming code executed on a computer processor. The code can be machine-level code or the code written for an operating system. Examples of software are Ms Word, Excel, Power Point, Google Chrome, Photoshop, MySQL etc.
Difference Between Hardware and Software:
|Hardware is a physical parts computer that cause processing of data.||Software is a set of instruction that tells a computer exactly what to do.|
|It is manufactured.||It is developed and engineered.|
|Hardware can not perform any task without software.||software can not be executed without hardware.|
|As Hardware are physical electronic devices, we can see and touch hardware.||We can see and also use the software but can’t actually touch them.|
|It has four main categories: input device, output devices, storage, and internal components.||It is mainly divided into System software, Programming software and Application software.|
|Hardware is not affected by computer viruses.||Software is affected by computer viruses.|
|It can not be transferred from one place to another electrically through network.||But, it can be transferred.|
|If hardware is damaged, it is replaced with new one.||If software is damaged, its backup copy can be reinstalled.|
|Ex: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Printer, CPU, Hard disk, RAM, ROM etc.||Ex: Ms Word, Excel, Power Point, Photoshop, MySQL etc.|
- Hardware Protection and Type of Hardware Protection
- Interaction of a Program with Hardware
- Hardware architecture (parallel computing)
- Difference between System Software and Application Software
- Difference between Blu-ray and DVD
- Difference between CPU and GPU
- Difference between LAN and WAN
- What's difference between MMU and MPU?
- Difference between CLI and GUI
- Difference between JSP and ASP
- Difference between LAN, MAN and WAN
- Difference between CRT and LCD
- Difference between RPC and RMI
- Difference between CD and DVD
- Difference between C and C++
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.