Prerequisite – Hardwired v/s Micro-programmed Control Unit
To execute an instruction, there are two types of control units Hardwired Control unit and Micro-programmed control unit.
- Hardwired control units are generally faster than microprogrammed designs. In hardwired control, we saw how all the control signals required inside the CPU can be generated using a state counter and a PLA circuit.
- A microprogrammed control unit is a relatively simple logic circuit that is capable of (1) sequencing through microinstructions and (2) generating control signals to execute each microinstruction.
|Hardwired Control Unit||Microprogrammed Control Unit|
|Hardwired control unit generates the control signals needed for the processor using logic circuits||Micrprogrammed control unit generates the control signals with the help of micro instructions stored in control memory|
|Hardwired control unit is faster when compared to microprogrammed control unit as the required control signals are generated with the help of hardwares||This is slower than the other as micro instructions are used for generating signals here|
|Difficult to modify as the control signals that need to be generated are hard wired||Easy to modify as the modification need to be done only at the instruction level|
|More costlier as everything has to be realized in terms of logic gates||Less costlier than hardwired control as only micro instructions are used for generating control signals|
|It cannot handle complex instructions as the circuit design for it becomes complex||It can handle complex instructions|
|Only limited number of instructions are used due to the hardware implementation||Control signals for many instructions can be generated|
|Used in computer that makes use of Reduced Instruction Set Computers(RISC)||Used in computer that makes use of Complex Instruction Set Computers(CISC)|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Hardwired and Microprogrammed Control Unit
- Computer Organization | Hardwired v/s Micro-programmed Control Unit
- Difference between Horizontal and Vertical micro-programmed Control Unit
- Difference between Flow Control and Congestion Control
- Difference between Flow Control and Error Control
- Introduction of Control Unit and its Design
- Numeric Control (NC) and Computer Numeric Control (CNC)
- Difference between System Unit and CPU
- Two Phase Locking (2-PL) Concurrency Control Protocol | Set 3
- How to set one column control over height in Bootstrap ?
- What is DSU(Digital Service Unit)?
- What is MTU(Maximum Transmission Unit)?
- What is VDU(Visible Display Unit)?
- What is AUI(Attachment Unit Interface)?
- Unit Testing in R Programming
- Unit Testing of Node.js Application
- Process Table and Process Control Block (PCB)
- Error Control in TCP
- TCP Congestion Control
- Congestion Control techniques in Computer Networks
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.