The first company to ever interview me turned out to be Tata Consultancy Services and I got selected for TCS digital profile via on-campus drive. I cleared the aptitude and coding rounds with flying colors. The only stage left was the interview. It was completely online conducted through cisco meetings. There were a total of 3 interviewers. Their videos were turned off, so I could not see them.
Management Round: Here are the series of questions that were asked in the first round.
- Tell us about something not in your resume.
- What is your greatest strength and explain a situation where you showcased it?
- What is your major subject?
- Are you comfortable operating systems?
- What is the difference between a program and a process?
- What is a thread?
- What is the difference between single thread and multi-threading and when are they useful?
- What is the difference between runtime error and compile-time error? Give examples.
- Are you comfortable with python?
- Explain the memory management process in python.
- Explain python data structures.
- Explain a few python modules.
- What is the difference between NumPy and Scipy?
- Out of NumPy array and list which one occupies less memory?
- Are you comfortable with the Django framework for python?
- Explain your project.
- The project is pretty outdated so why did you choose it?
Human Resources Round:
- Why did you choose TCS?
- Are you willing to relocate?
- Do you have any feedback for us?
Team sign off: It was a pleasure talking to you and good luck with the results and your future!
Key points from the interview:
- Do not worry about not making a good first impression if you could not. Just progress with the interview and get better and better and most importantly “finish with a bang!”.
- Maintain a cheerful attitude even if you do not get positive feedback.
- Communication with confidence matters the most! You must be able to confidently say “Yes” if you know the answer and thus answer it. You should also be equally confident to say “No” and this is where your complete attitude is exposed.
- Make sure you have a complete idea of what you wrote in your resume and also be extra prepared to talk about something not mentioned in it.
- Ask questions whenever necessary.
- Questions vary depending on the assigned team. Hence, be prepared for anything especially the topics you mentioned in your resume.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course. In case you are prepared, test your skills using TCS, Wipro, Amazon and Microsoft Test Serieses.