GIF and PNG are the two different types of formats used to store the images.
GIF stands for graphics interchange format. The extensions used to store images in this format are .gif and .gfa. It uses the lossless compression algorithm and supports 8-bit color.
It stands for portable network graphics. For PNG images, the extension used is .png. It also uses the lossless compression algorithm.
Differences between GIF and PNG:
|It stands for graphics interchange format.||It stands for portable network graphics.|
|It supports animations.||It doesn’t support animations.|
|MIME type is image/gif.||MIME type is image/png.|
|The file size is generally less.||The file size is large as compared to a GIF.|
|It supports one bit transparency in the images.||It supports transparency with an elegance.||The extensions used are .gif and .gfa.||The extension used is .png.|
|Mostly used when animation is needed.||It is mostly used in image creation.|
|It provides a limited color range of 256 colors.||It provides thousand of colors.|
|It supports layers and multi-paging.||While it does not supports layers and multi-paging.|
|It is best suited for screenshots, typography, etc.||It is suitable for small vectors, crispy edged visuals, logos, etc.|
- Difference between JPEG and PNG
- Difference between SVG file and PNG file
- Difference between JPEG and GIF
- Compression of GIF images
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
- Difference between User Level thread and Kernel Level thread
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Priority Inversion and Priority Inheritance
- What’s difference between Linux and Android ?
- What’s difference between header files "stdio.h" and "stdlib.h" ?
- Difference between HTML and HTTP
- Difference between http:// and https://
- What's difference between MMU and MPU?
- What's difference between Microcontroller (µC) and Microprocessor (µP)?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.