Business Studies is defined as the area of study that talks about the principles of business, economics and management. It is taught at the secondary level in India as an academic elective. It covers management, marketing, and finance.
GeeksforGeeks Business Studies covers chapters from Class XI and XII covering every topic, like Business, Commerce, Forms of Business Organisation, Business Services, Business Finance, Social Responsibility, Business Ethics, International Business, Functions of Management, Principles of Management, Marketing, Stock Exchange, Training, Recruiting, Planning, etc.
Business Studies for Class 11
Chapter 1: Business, Trade, and Commerce
- Introduction to Business
- Difference between Business, Profession, and Employment
- Trade and Auxiliaries to Trade
- What is Business Risk?
- Basic Factors for Starting a Business
- Types of Industries- Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary
Chapter 2: Forms of Business Organisation
- Forms of Business Organization
- Sole Proprietorship: Features, Merits and Demerits
- Joint Hindu Family Business: Features, Merits and Demerits
- Partnership: Features, Merits and Demerits
- Partnership Deed – Aspects and Registration
- Types of Partners
- Types of Partnership
- Cooperative Society – Features, Merits, Demerits and Types
- Joint Stock Company: Meaning, Features, Merits & Demerits, Types
- Choice of Form of Business Organisation
Chapter 3: Private, Public, and Global Enterprises
- Private, Public, and Global Enterprises
- Forms of Organizing Public Sector Enterprises
- Difference between Private and Public Sector
- Statutory Corporation – Features, Merits, and Demerits
- Government Company: Features, Merits and Demerits
- Departmental Undertaking: Features, Merits, and Demerits
- Changing Role of Public Sector
- Government Policy towards Public Sector since 1991
- What are Global Enterprises?
- Joint Venture and its Types
- Public Private Partnership (PPP) : Meaning, Features, Applications, Advantages and Disadvantages
Chapter 4: Business Services
- Types of Business Services
- Difference between Goods and Services
- Nature and Types of Services
- Types of Banking
- Meaning and Benefits of e-Banking
- Functions of Insurance
- Principles of Insurance
- Types of Insurance
- Life Insurance: Meaning, Elements, and Types of Life Insurance Policies
- Fire Insurance: Meaning, Claim for Loss (Conditions) and Elements of Fire Insurance Contract
- What is Marine Insurance?
- Difference between Life, Marine, and Fire Insurance
- Communication Services: Postal and Telecom Services
- Types of General Insurance
- Warehousing Services: Meaning, Types and Function
Chapter 5: Emerging Modes of Business
- Introduction to Emerging Modes of Business
- e-Business: Benefits and Limitations
- Scope of e-Business: B2B Commerce| B2C Commerce|C2C Commerce|Intra B-Commerce
- What is e-commerce? Explain benefits and types of e-commerce.
- Difference between E-business and Traditional Business
- What is an Online Transaction?
- Types of e-business Risks
- Outsourcing: Meaning, Features, Scope, Types of OSP, BPO
- Why is Outsourcing Needed?
- Concern over Outsourcing
Chapter 6: Social Responsibilities of Business and Business Ethics
- Social Responsibilities of a Business – Meaning, Need and Types
- Business Ethics – Meaning, Benefits and Elements
- Social Responsibility: Arguments For and Against Social Responsibility
- Social Responsibility towards Different Interest Groups
- Business and Environmental Protection: Causes and Types of Pollution, Need for Pollution Control and Role of Business in Environment Protection
Chapter 7: Formation of a Company
- Formation of a Company
- Promotion of a Company: Meaning, Documents and Steps Involved
- Who is a Promoter?
- What is Incorporation?
- Difference between Articles of Association and Memorandum of Association
- Steps required for raising Funds from Public
- One Person Company: Meaning and Characteristics
Chapter 8: Sources of Business Finance
- Business Finance: Sources and Factors Affecting the Choice of the Source of Funds
- Business Finance: Meaning, Nature, and Significance
- Sources of Funds and its Classification
- What are the Different Sources of Finance?
- Retained Earnings: Meaning, Features, Advantages and Limitations
- Trade Credit: Advantages and Disadvantages
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Factoring
- Lease Financing – Meaning, Advantages and Disadvantages
- Public Deposits: Advantages and Disadvantages
- Commercial Paper: Advantages and Disadvantages
- What is Issue of Shares? Types of Shares, Advantages and Disadvantages
- What do you mean by Debenture? Explain its Types, Advantages, and Disadvantages
- Commercial Banks: Advantages and Disadvantages
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Financial Institutions
- International Financing: Meaning and Sources of International Financing
- Factors Affecting the Choice of the Source of Funds
Chapter 9: Small Business
- MSME and Business Entrepreneurship
- What is Entrepreneurship?
- Importance and Types of Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)
Chapter 10: Internal Trade
- Introduction to Internal Trade
- What is Internal Trade?
- Wholesale Trade and Services of Wholesalers
- Services Offered by Wholesalers
- Services Offered by Retailers
- Difference between Wholesaler and Retailer
- Types of Retailers: Itinerant Retailers and Fixed Shop Retailers
- Who are Itinerant Retailers?
- Who are Fixed Shop Retailers?
- What are Departmental Stores?
- What are Chain or Multiple Stores?
- Difference between Departmental Stores and Multiple Stores
- Mail Order Houses: Meaning, Advantages, and Disadvantages
- Consumer Cooperative Stores: Meaning, Advantages, and Disadvantages
- Super Markets – Characteristics, Advantages and Disadvantages
- What is External Trade?
- What is GST? Types, Features, Benefits, Input Tax Credit, GST Council
- Role of Commerce and Industry Associations in Promotion of Internal Trade
Chapter 11: International Business
- Introduction to International Business
- International Business: Meaning, Reason, Scope and Benefits
- Difference between International Trade and International Business
- Difference between Domestic Business and International Business
- Modes of Entry into International Business
- Exporting and Importing – Meaning, Advantages and Disadvantages
- Contract Manufacturing: Meaning, Advantages and Disadvantages
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Licensing and Franchising
- Joint Ventures: Meaning, Advantages and Disadvantages
- Wholly Owned Subsidiaries: Meaning, Advantages, and Disadvantages
- What is Export Procedure?
- Steps in Import Procedure
- Documents required in Import Transaction
- Foreign Trade Promotion Measures and Schemes
- Organisational Support in International Business
- International Monetary Fund (IMF): Objectives and Functions
- World Trade Organisation (WTO): Features, Functions and Objectives
Chapter 1: Nature and Significance of Management
- What is Management? Concept, Characteristics, Objectives, Importance and Functions
- Difference between Effectiveness and Efficiency
- Nature of Management as a Science, Art and Profession
- Levels of Management
- Functions of Management- Planning, Organising, Staffing, Directing and Controlling
- Coordination – The Essence of Management | Concept, Features and Importance
- Difference between Coordination and Cooperation
Chapter 2: Principles of Management
- Nature and Significance of Principles of Management
- 14 Principles of Management by Henri Fayol
- Difference between Unity of Command and Unity of Direction
- Principles of Scientific Management
- Techniques of Scientific Management
- Difference between Time Study and Motion Study
- Difference between Fayol and Taylor Theories of Management
Chapter 3: Business Environment
- Features and Importance of Business Environment
- Dimensions of Business Environment
- Economic Environment in India
- New Industrial Policy and its impact on the Business
- Concept and Features of Demonetization
Chapter 4: Planning
- Features, Importance and Limitations of Planning
- Planning Process: Concept and Steps
- Types of Plans: Standing Plan and Single-use Plan
- Difference between Standing Plans and Single-Use Plans
- Difference between Policies and Objectives
- Difference between Policies and Strategy
- Difference between Policies and Procedures
- Difference between Procedures and Methods
- Difference between Procedures and Rules
- Difference between Policies and Rules
- Difference between Rules and Methods
Chapter 5: Organising
- Organising- Meaning, Importance and Process
- Types of Organisation Structure
- Difference between Functional Structure and Divisional Structure
- Formal and Informal Organisation
- Difference between Formal and Informal Organisation
- Elements and Importance of Delegation
- Difference between Authority, Responsibility and Accountability
- Centralization and Decentralization
- Difference between Centralisation and Decentralisation
- Difference between Delegation and Decentralisation
Chapter 6: Staffing
- Features and Importance of Staffing
- Staffing and Human Resource Management
- Staffing Process
- Sources of Recruitment (Internal and External: Meaning, Merits and Demerits)
- Difference between Internal Recruitment and External Recruitment
- Steps in Selection Process
- Difference between Recruitment and Selection
- Importance of Training and Development to Organisation and Employees
- Methods of Training: On-the-Job Methods and Off-the-Job Methods
- Difference between On-the-Job Training Methods and Off-the-Job Training Methods
- Difference between Training and Development
- Difference between Training, Development and Education
Chapter 7: Directing
- Directing: Meaning, Characteristics and Importance
- Principles and Elements of Directing
- Importance of Supervision
- Features and Importance of Motivation
- Process of Motivation
- Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs Theory
- Financial and Non-Financial Incentives
- Difference between Financial and Non-financial Incentives
- Features and Importance of Leadership
- Types of Leadership Styles
- 10 Qualities of a Good Leader
- Difference between a Manager and a Leader
- Nature and Importance of Communication
- Elements of Communication Process
- Communication Channels | Formal and Informal
- Formal Communication: Meaning, Types, Networks, Merits and Demerits
- Informal Communication: Meaning, Networks, Merits and Demerits
- Barriers to Effective Communication
- Measures to improve Communication Effectiveness
Chapter 8: Controlling
- Controlling: Nature, Importance, and Limitations
- Relationship between Planning and Controlling
- Process of Controlling
Chapter 9: Financial Management
- Role and Objectives of Financial Management
- Kinds of Financial Decisions
- Investment Decision: Meaning and Factors affecting Investment Decision
- Financing Decision: Meaning and Factors affecting Financing Decision
- Dividend Decision: Meaning and Factors affecting Dividend Decision
- Financial Planning: Objectives and Importance
- What is Capital Structure
- Factors affecting the choice of Capital Structure
- What is Fixed Capital and Working Capital?
- Fixed Capital: Meaning, Importance and Factors Affecting Requirement of Fixed Capital
- Working Capital: Meaning, Types, Operating Cycle and Factors Affecting the Working Capital
Chapter 10: Financial Markets
- Financial Market: Meaning, Functions, and Classification
- Instruments of Money Market
- What is Capital Market?
- Difference between Money Market and Capital Market
- What are the different Methods of Floatation of Securities in Primary Market?
- Difference between Primary Market and Secondary Market
- What is Stock Exchange?
- Trading Procedure on a Stock Exchange
- 12 Common Terms in Stock Exchange
- Depository System: Meaning, Services and Constituents
- Dematerialisation of Securities (Demat Account): Benefits and Working
- What is National Stock Exchange of India (NSEI)?
- What is Over the Counter Exchange of India (OTCEI)?
- Difference between NSEI and OTCEI
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI): Objectives and Functions
Chapter 11: Marketing
- Marketing: Features and Functions
- Difference between Marketing and Selling
- Marketing Management Philosophies
- What is Marketing Mix?
- What is Product Mix?
- Classification of Products
- Difference between Convenience Products, Shopping Products and Speciality Products
- Difference between Consumer Products and Industrial Products
- What is Branding?
- Packaging: Levels, Importance and Functions
- What is Labelling?
- Price Mix: Meaning and Factors Affecting Price Determination
- What is Place/Physical Distribution Mix?
- Types of Distribution Channels
- Factors Determining Choice of Channels of Distribution
- Components of Physical Distribution
- What is Promotion Mix?
- Advertising: Features, Merits and Demerits
- Objections to Advertising
- Personal Selling: Features, Merits and Role
- Qualities of a Good Salesman
- Difference between Advertising and Personal Selling
- Sales Promotion: Merits, Demerits and Activities/ Techniques
- What is Public Relations?
Chapter 12: Consumer Protection
- Consumer Protection: Meaning, Importance and Means
- Consumer Rights and Responsibilities
- Who is a Consumer?
- Consumer Protection Act 1986 v/s Consumer Protection Act 2019
- Redressal Agencies under the Consumer Protection Act, 2019
- Remedies available to Consumers under Consumer Protection Act 2019
My Personal Notes arrow_drop_up
Please Login to comment...