Some interesting facts about computer networking are:
- Internet was invented by Tim Berners-Lee in 1989.
- Internet is controlled by 75 million servers.
- Backbone of internet is made by 550, 000 miles of underwater cable.
- About one billion computer systems are connected to internet.
- About 3.2 billion people use the internet from which 1.7 billion internet users are Asians.
- Internet consists of five billion computing devices such as computers, phones, modems, switches, routers etc.
- According to Google, Internet consists of 5 million Terabytes of data.
- If the internet goes down for a day, approximately 200 billion emails and 3 billion Google search would have to wait.
- Approximately 204 million emails per minute are send over Internet. 70% of them are spam.
- 269 billion emails are sent per day.
- 30, 000 websites are hacked every day.
- 50 million horsepower is required by the internet to keep running in the current state.
- Approximately 9 million adults in Britain and 1/3rd of italians have never used the internet while China has treatment camps for internet addicts.
- Microsoft has more servers than Google. Microsoft owns over one million servers while Google has 900, 000.
- Internet bots and malware generate 61.5% or nearly two-thirds of all the website traffic.
- Approximately 1.7 trillion euro dollar worth of funds is spent online.
- Tim Berners-Lee was knighted by Queen Elizabeth.
- An email takes around 2 billion electrons to produce.
- Online dating generates approximately $1 billion dollars every year.
- Qwerty was designed to slow you down so that keys would not jam.
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Create a database on Relational Database Service (RDS) of Amazon Web Services(AWS)
- Must Do Coding Questions for Companies like Amazon, Microsoft, Adobe, …
- Must Do Coding Questions Company-wise
- Introduction to Hadoop
- Model-View-Controller(MVC) architecture for Node applications
- PHP | gmp_setbit() Function
- GATE CS 2019 important dates and links
- PHP | is_int()
- Will we ever run out of cloud storage?
- Access Control Lists(ACL) in Linux