Introduction to Ethical Hacking
Ethical Hacking: To crack passwords or to steal data? No, it is much more than that. Ethical hacking is to scan vulnerabilities and to find potential threats on a computer or network. An ethical hacker finds the weak points or loopholes in a computer, web application or network and reports them to the organization. So, let’s explore more about Ethical Hacking step-by-step. These are various types of hackers:
(1) White Hat Hackers (Cyber-Security Hacker)
(2) Black Hat Hackers (Cracker)
(3) Gray Hat Hackers (Both)
(4) Blue Hat hackers
(5) Green Hat Hackers
(6) Red Hat Hackers.
Let’s summarize them one by one.
- White Hat Hackers: Here, we look for bugs and ethically report them to the organization. We are authorized as a user to test for bugs in a website or network and report it to them. White hat hackers generally get all the needed information about the application or network to test for, from the organization itself. They use their skills to test it before the website goes live or attacked by malicious hackers. To become a white hat hacker, you can earn a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or cybersecurity. In addition, certifications such as Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) and Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) are highly recommended.
- Black Hat Hackers: Here, the organization doesn’t allow the user to test it. They unethically enter inside the website and steal data from the admin panel or manipulate the data. They only focus on themselves and the advantages they will get from the personal data for personal financial gain. They can cause major damage to the company by altering the functions which lead to the loss of the company at a much higher extent. This can even lead you to extreme consequences.These hackers use a variety of tools and techniques to achieve their goals. One of the most common methods used by black hat hackers is phishing, which involves tricking people into providing credentials or personal information via fake websites or emails. Once they have access to this information, they can use it to gain unauthorized access to computer systems and networks.
- Grey Hat Hackers: They sometimes access to the data and violates the law. But never have the same intention as Black hat hackers, they often operate for the common good. The main difference is that they exploit vulnerability publicly whereas white hat hackers do it privately for the company.One criticism of Grey Hat hackers is that their actions can still cause harm. Even if they do not steal or damage data, their unauthorized access to computer systems can still disrupt operations and cause financial losses for companies. Additionally, there is always the risk that a Grey Hat hacker will accidentally cause damage while attempting to identify vulnerabilities.
- Blue Hat hackers: They are much like the script kiddies; are beginners in the field of hacking. If anyone makes angry a script kiddie and he/she may take revenge, then they are considered as the blue hat hackers. Blue Hat hackers payback to those who have challenged them or angry them. Like the Script Kiddies, Blue hat hackers also have no desire to learn.
- Green Hat hackers : They are also amateurs in the world of hacking but they are bit different from script kiddies. They care about hacking and strive to become full-blown hackers. They are inspired by the hackers and ask them few questions about. While hackers are answering their question they will listen to its novelty.
- Red Hat Hackers: They are also known as the eagle-eyed hackers. Like white hat hackers, red hat hackers also aims to halt the black hat hackers. There is a major difference in the way they operate. They become ruthless while dealing with malware actions of the black hat hackers. Red hat hacker will keep on attacking the hacker aggressively that the hacker may know it as well have to replace the whole system.
Whether you're preparing for your first job interview or aiming to upskill in this ever-evolving tech landscape, GeeksforGeeks Courses
are your key to success. We provide top-quality content at affordable prices, all geared towards accelerating your growth in a time-bound manner. Join the millions we've already empowered, and we're here to do the same for you. Don't miss out - check it out now!