A number of the form 2x + 1 (where x > 0) is prime if and only if x is a power of 2, i.e., x = 2n. So overall number becomes 22n + 1. Such numbers are called Fermat Number (Numbers of form 22n + 1). The first few Fermet numbers are 3, 5, 17, 257, 65537, 4294967297, ….
An important thing to note is a number of the form 22n + 1) is not always prime. For example 225 + 1 = 25 + 1 = 232 + 1 = 4294967297 = 641 * 6700417.
This fact is contributed by Shivam Pradhan (anuj_charm). If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- G-Fact 21 | Collatz Sequence
- GFact 23 | (Brocard’s problem)
- G-Fact 18 | Finding nth Fibonacci Number using Golden Ratio
- G-Fact 19 (Logical and Bitwise Not Operators on Boolean)
- G-Fact 20 (Cayley’s formula for Number of Labelled Trees)
- G-Fact 17
- fseek() vs rewind() in C
- G-Fact 16
- G-Fact 15
- G-Fact 14