You are given two integer numbers, the base a (number of digits d, such that 1 <= d <= 1000) and the index b (0 <= b <= 922*10^15). You have to find the last digit of a^b.
Input : 3 10 Output : 9 Input : 6 2 Output : 6 Input : 150 53 Output : 0
After taking few examples, we can notice below pattern.
Number | Last digits that repeat in cycle 1 | 1 2 | 4, 8, 6, 2 3 | 9, 7, 1, 3 4 | 6, 4 5 | 5 6 | 6 7 | 9, 3, 1, 7 8 | 4, 2, 6, 8 9 | 1, 9
In the given table, we can see that maximum length for cycle repetition is 4.
Example: 2*2 = 4*2 = 8*2 = 16*2 = 32 last digit in 32 is 2 that means after multiplying 4 times digit repeat itself. So the algorithm is very simple .
Source : Brilliants.org
- Since number are very large we store them as a string.
- Take last digit in base a.
- Now calculate b%4. Here b is very large.
- If b%4==0 that means b is completely divisible by 4, so our exponent now will be exp = 4 because by multiplying number 4 times, we get the last digit according to cycle table in above diagram.
- If b%4!=0 that means b is not completely divisible by 4, so our exponent now will be exp=b%4 because by multiplying number exponent times, we get the last digit according to cycle table in above diagram.
- Now calculate ldigit = pow( last_digit_in_base, exp ).
- Last digit of a^b will be ldigit%10.
Below is the implementation of above algorithm.
This article is contributed by Shashank Mishra ( Gullu ). This article is reviewed by team geeksforgeeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Last digit of Product of two Large or Small numbers (a * b)
- Recursive sum of digit in n^x, where n and x are very large
- Find the highest occurring digit in prime numbers in a range
- Count of Numbers in Range where first digit is equal to last digit of the number
- Count n digit numbers not having a particular digit
- Find the remainder when First digit of a number is divided by its Last digit
- LCM of two large numbers
- GCD of two numbers when one of them can be very large
- Sum of two large numbers
- Remainder with 7 for large numbers
- Divisible by 37 for large numbers
- Difference of two large numbers
- Large Fibonacci Numbers in Java
- Sort an array of large numbers
- Sum of first N natural numbers when N is extremely large
Improved By : nitin mittal