Once upon a time Tom and Jerry thought of having a race on a circular track. The diameter of the track was 200 yards.
- They both started from same starting point. Tom being confident did not move until he found jerry has moved 1/8-th of the distance.
- Now Tom starts to move and meets jerry on the circular track. Tom finds that at this point of time ,he has moved only 1/6th of total distance. Now the fear of losing the race starts to disturb him.
- He starts wondering how much faster should he move comparatively to win the race. Please help him .
Solution: Tom has to move 85/4 times faster than his current speed to win the race.
Initially, Jerry has traveled 3/24 of the distance of circular track. When Tom and Jerry met, we can find that Jerry had moved a distance of 17/24 of the circular track. We can subtract 7/8th of total distance to 1/6th of total distance.
At this time, Tom had moved a distance of 4/24th distance of circular track. Now we can find that speed of Jerry is 17/4 times faster than that of Tom. So, basically Jerry is 17/4 times faster than Tom. Now, Tom has to move 5/6th of the track while Jerry has only 1/6th left. So, in order to win Tom has to move 5 times faster than jerry’s rate which is 85/4 to overcome .
Therefore, if Tom moves at a little faster speed than 85/4 times of previous speed, he would certainly win the race.
This puzzle is contributed by Ankur Chaudhary. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Puzzle 1 | (How to Measure 45 minutes using two identical wires?)
- Puzzle 2 | (Find ages of daughters)
- Puzzle 3 | (Calculate total distance travelled by bee)
- Puzzle 4 | (Pay an employee using a 7 units gold rod?)
- Puzzle 13 | (100 Prisoners with Red/Black Hats)
- Puzzle 5 | (Finding the poisoned wine)
- Puzzle 6 | (Monty Hall problem)
- Puzzle 7 | (3 Bulbs and 3 Switches)
- Puzzle 8 | (Find the Jar with contaminated pills)
- Puzzle 9 | (Find the fastest 3 horses)
- Puzzle 10 | (A Man with Medical Condition and 2 Pills)
- Puzzle 11 | (1000 Coins and 10 Bags)
- Puzzle 12 | (Maximize probability of White Ball)
- Puzzle 14 | (Strategy for a 2 Player Coin Game)
- Puzzle 15 | (Camel and Banana Puzzle)
Improved By : zweack