Open In App

Is coding knowledge required to learn SAP ABAP?

Last Updated : 15 Dec, 2023
Like Article

We are well aware of SAP, the full form of SAP is Systems, applications, and products in data processing. Initially, it is called System analysis program development. It is a German Multinational software corporation that provides ERP software to manage business operations and CRM. It was founded in 1972 with its headquarters in Walldorf, Germany. It manages financial accounting, logistics, supply chain, human resources, and other types of business operations. SAP ERP integrates all information and processes of an organization into a unified system.


Is coding knowledge required to learn SAP ABAP?

What is SAP ABAP?

SAP ABAP stands for Advanced Business Application Programming which is a fourth-generation programming language. It is specifically developed to allow the mass-processing of data in SAP business operations and its applications. ABAP is considered as an multi-paradigm programming language, meaning programmers can utilize procedural, object-oriented, and other programming principles. Programs written with ABAP can able to run alongside those based on other programming languages such as Java, Python, JavaScript and so on. SAP ABAP is used by developers to develop the SAP R/3 platform. It also helps SAP customers to improve SAP applications.

Does SAP ABAP require coding?

Well, actually it requires coding expertise. In SAP ABAP, you will be writing ABAP specific native code to create SAP applications. By ABAP native, we mean the fact clarifies that SAP ABAP has different code syntax than other High-level programming languages. Well, here is an sample code of SAP ABAP. It clarifies how to write a Hello World program in SAP ABAP.

WRITE 'hello world'.

Make sure that you need to use SAP editor in order to code in SAP ABAP. Some programmers also think that it is possible to learn SAP ABAP without any programming skills. It means that you need some basic understanding of programming so that you can able to learn SAP ABAP.

SAP ABAP programming includes data types, functions, tables, operators, and editors. This is how we can conclude that SAP ABAP needs programming for implementation.

SAP ABAP also deals with SQL which means we need to implement SQL for database management while programming in SAP ABAP. If you are going to become an SAP ABAP developers then you would most likely to learn how SAP platform works, when it comes to ABAP programming. The only prerequisite is a desire to learn and willingness to put in the efforts. As a result you can start your SAP career with no prior knowledge of SAP software.

What if i don’t know how to program?

Programming is not required to be an IT professional, and it isn’t necessary to be an IT professional. Well, 90% of SAP implementations are staffed by business users, while on the other hand only 10% are software developers. There is no coding involved in the position for which you will be trained: SAP system administration. But having some programming terminology will make you stand out and it is mainly focuses on business integration as well as business operations and so on.

Prerequisite needed to learn SAP ABAP

Some of the basic requirements which is needed to become SAP ABAP programmer is mentioned below:

  • C programming or any other languages like Java, C++.
  • Object oriented programming is must.
  • Database concepts like SQL.


In simple words, SAP ABAP does require coding knowledge for creating SAP applications, but however, SAP ABAP basics don’t require coding expertise at a basic level. ABAP is not a difficult language to learn compared to java, C++. The difficult lies more is being able to translate a business requirement to a technical solution. Note that SAP ABAP will always be in demand till SAP exists.

Like Article
Suggest improvement
Share your thoughts in the comments

Similar Reads