Graphics is defined as any sketch or a drawing or a special network that pictorially represents some meaningful information. Computer Graphics is used where a set of image needs to be manipulated or the creation of the image in the form of pixels and is drawn on the computer. Computer Graphics can be used in digital photography, film,entertainment, electronic gadgets and all other core technologies which are required. It is a vast subject and area in the field of computer science. Computer Graphics can be used in UI design, rendering, geometric object, animation and many more.In most area, computer graphics is an abbreviation of CG. There are several tools used for implementation of Computer Graphics. The basic is the <graphics.h> header file in Turbo-C, Unity for advanced and even OpenGL can be used for it’s Implementation. It was invented in 1960 by great researchers Verne Hudson and William Fetter from Boeing.
Computer Graphics refers to several things:
- The manipulation and the representation of the image or the data in a graphical manner.
- Various technology required for the creation and manipulation.
- Digital synthesis and its manipulation.
Types of Computer Graphics
- Raster Graphics: In raster graphics pixels are used for an image to be drawn. It is also known as a bitmap image in which a sequence of image is into smaller pixels. Basically a bitmap indicates a large number of pixels together.
- Vector Graphics: In vector graphics, mathematical formulae are used to draw different types of shapes, lines, objects and so on.
- Computer Graphics are used for aided design for engineering and architectural system- These are used in electrical automobile, electro-mechanical, mechanical, electronic devices. For example: gears and bolts.
- Computer Art – MS Paint.
- Presentation Graphics – It is used to summarize financial statistical scientific or economic data. For example- Bar chart, Line chart.
- Entertainment- It is used in motion picture, music video, television gaming.
- Education and training- It is used to understand operations of complex system. It is also used for specialized system such for framing for captains, pilots and so on.
- Visualization- To study trends and patterns.For example- Analyzing satellite photo of earth.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Applications of Computer Graphics
- Computer Graphics | Antialiasing
- Segments in Computer Graphics
- Interpolation Methods in Computer Graphics
- Painter's Algorithm in Computer Graphics
- Computer Graphics | The RGB color model
- Display Processor in Computer Graphics
- Translation of objects in computer graphics
- DDA Line generation Algorithm in Computer Graphics
- 2D Transformation in Computer Graphics | Set 1 (Scaling of Objects)
- Methods for Text Clipping in Computer Graphics
- Point Clipping Algorithm in Computer Graphics
- Draw a moving car using computer graphics programming in C
- Difference between Parallel and Perspective Projection in Computer Graphics
- Refresh type output devices in Computer Graphics
- Window to Viewport Transformation in Computer Graphics with Implementation
- Computer Graphics | Cathode ray tube (video display device)
- Reflection In 2D Graphics
- Mandlebrot Set in C/C++ Using Graphics
- bar() function in C graphics
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.