Flip-flop is a circuit that maintains a state until directed by input to change the state. A basic flip-flop can be constructed using four-NAND or four-NOR gates.
Types of flip-flops:
- RS Flip Flop
- JK Flip Flop
- D Flip Flop
- T Flip Flop
Logic diagrams and truth tables of the different types of flip-flops are as follows:
S-R Flip Flop :
J-K Flip Flop:
D Flip Flop :
T Flip Flop :
Conversion for FlipFlops :-
Steps To Convert from One FlipFlop to Other :
Let there be required flipflop to be constructed using sub-flipflop:
- Draw the truth table of required flipflop.
- Write the corresponding outputs of sub-flipflop to be used from the excitation table.
- Draw K-Maps using required flipflop inputs and obtain excitation functions for sub-flipflop inputs.
- Construct logic diagram according to the functions obtained.
i) Convert SR To JK FlipFlop
ii) Convert SR To D FlipFlop:
Applications of Flip-Flops
These are the various types of flip-flops being used in digital electronic circuits and the applications of Flip-flops are as specified below.
- Frequency Dividers
- Shift Registers
- Storage Registers
- Bounce elimination switch
- Data storage
- Data transfer
This article is contributed by Kriti Kushwaha .
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Types and Applications of LED
- Program for Binary To Decimal Conversion
- Program for Decimal to Binary Conversion
- Program for Octal to Decimal Conversion
- Analog to Digital Conversion
- Analog to Analog Conversion (Modulation)
- Digital to Analog Conversion
- Conversion of Binary number to Base 4 system
- Conversion of S-R Flip-Flop into T Flip-Flop
- Conversion of J-K Flip-Flop into T Flip-Flop
- Conversion of J-K Flip-Flop into D Flip-Flop
- Conversion of S-R Flip-Flop into D Flip-Flop
- Minimal to Canonical Form Conversion
- Program for Decimal to Octal Conversion
- Verilog Data Types
- Analysis and Design of Combinational and Sequential circuits
- VHDL code for AND and OR Logic Gates
- Digital Electronics and Computer Organisation
- Number System and Base Conversions
- Half Adder and Half Subtractor using NAND NOR gates