Flip-flop is a circuit that maintains a state until directed by input to change the state. A basic flip-flop can be constructed using four-NAND or four-NOR gates.
Types of flip-flops:
- RS Flip Flop
- JK Flip Flop
- D Flip Flop
- T Flip Flop
Logic diagrams and truth tables of the different types of flip-flops are as follows:
S-R Flip Flop :
J-K Flip Flop:
D Flip Flop :
T Flip Flop :
Conversion for FlipFlops :-
Steps To Convert from One FlipFlop to Other :
Let there be required flipflop to be constructed using sub-flipflop:
- Draw the truth table of required flipflop.
- Write the corresponding outputs of sub-flipflop to be used from the excitation table.
- Draw K-Maps using required flipflop inputs and obtain excitation functions for sub-flipflop inputs.
- Construct logic diagram according to the functions obtained.
i) Convert SR To JK FlipFlop
ii) Convert SR To D FlipFlop:
Applications of Flip-Flops
These are the various types of flip-flops being used in digital electronic circuits and the applications of Flip-flops are as specified below.
- Frequency Dividers
- Shift Registers
- Storage Registers
- Bounce elimination switch
- Data storage
- Data transfer
This article is contributed by Kriti Kushwaha .
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.